- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
You know that you’ve “made it,” when strangers come to your home to Instagram your furniture and shag rugs.
Of course we know design king Jonathan Adler has already made it. You can tell that by how comfortable he was with me creepily lurking around his mod Shelter Island beach vacation pad, squeaking and squealing like a little girl taking pictures of her first Barbie house.
I’d been invited to Jonathan and his husband Simon Doonan’s house for a Friday afternoon clambake as part of a road trip from New York City to Shelter Island in a brand new Ford Mustang, a shiny cherry red one that made me feel like Christie Brinkley in Vacation.
A Mustang can make anyone look cool. (Photo: Nick Aster)
To celebrate the 50th anniversary of Mustang, Ford and Adler teamed up to name 10 must-see destinations that are shaping what’s next in art, design, and architecture across America. You can check out Adler’s perfect road trip destinations here.
Anyone who makes a pool this chic knows how to design the perfect road trip. (Photo: Nick Aster)
For me, a frequent Adler shopper (often when things go on sale) and big fan, his beach house was the ultimate road trip destination. And because I am fairly certain he knows how to make every aspect of your life a little chicer, I needed to find out how Jonathan plans the perfect summer road trip. Frankly it’s simple. Here are Jonathan Adler’s four road trip essentials:
1. Pick a great road trip partner—boyfriend, girlfriend, whatever…..someone you love.
2. Rad tunes. I’m partial to the eighties.
3. A great destination. My favorite place on the Earth is Big Sur. I go to San Francisco and drive to Big Sur and my chakras start to tingle as I get close.
4. Pack nothing. I’m a light packer. My one indulgence is I do hotel laundry. It is totally out of character. I would never touch anything in a hotel mini-bar, but hotel laundry is my secret.
Check out our original adventure travel series A Broad Abroad.
Video by Nick Aster