'John Wick' director didn't think he'd get to make two films, let alone four: 'No one clapped' after first test screening
Director Chad Stahelski told Insider he didn't expect to come back for multiple "John Wick" movies.
He said "no one clapped" after the test screening of the first film.
The 54-year-old filmmaker called the franchise a "blessing."
"John Wick: Chapter 4" sees "The Matrix" star Keanu Reeves step back into the unkillable assassin's shoes for a fourth time, as he tries to free himself from the sprawling criminal organization known as the High Table.
Not only that, but the hero also has to fend off hordes of other hitmen as a bounty on his head now equals millions of dollars.
Wick has come a long way since the first film back in 2014, which saw him get revenge on a Russian mobster who killed a puppy given to him by his late wife. Wick's rampage has gone global since then — taking the action to Italy, Morocco, Germany, and Japan.
Speaking to Insider ahead of the sequel, director Chad Stahelski said that he never thought the franchise would make it past two films, let alone four, because the first movie didn't get a positive reaction during its first test screening.
Stahleski told Insider: "No, no, no, we never thought we'd get to two. I mean, my co-director partner at the time, David Leitch, we finished the film, we did our first test, and we all went, 'Uh, no one clapped.'"
—Insider Entertainment (@insiderent) March 24, 2023
Stahelski added that he and Leitch then moved on to other jobs as stunt coordinators, thinking that they'd "mucked it up."
He said: "Dave and I, we literally just went to second unit jobs and were like, 'That was really cool. We're very fortunate to have a chance to try to direct and completely mucked it up.' You know, 'Maybe in another lifetime.'"
The "Matrix" and "Constantine" stuntman went on to say that he's still not sure why movie studio Lionsgate called him back to do more "John Wick" movies, but he jumped at the chance.
Stahelski said: "Then the film opens many months later and we get a positive response and then Lionsgate, I still don't know why, called us back up and go: 'Hey, would you like to do another one?' And we're like, 'Sure!'"
The director said it's been a "blessing to have people actually want to see more."
"Even now, it hits us a little bit. Sitting here is a little surreal for us still. You know, we're just a bunch of guys that like action movies," he added.
"John Wick: Chapter 4" is in theaters now.
Read the original article on Insider