During rehearsals, Lagoke and her duet partner Ronda Felton bonded over their shared trauma and struggles with self-esteem. However, Lagoke had admitted that the "emotional rollercoaster ride" of the past 24 hours had gotten to her. After a not-so-perfect performance, which called a "trainwreck," Lagoke just couldn't handle it anymore.
Richie had barely started his stern critique when Lagoke fainted, and she hit the stage floor, face-first, with such blunt force that the thump echoed throughout the Dolby Theater. This wasn’t the first time that Idol viewers had witnessed a stressed contestant suffer a health scare, freak accident, or fainting spell during the grueling Hollywood Week process, but Lagoke’s tumble might have been the scariest and most dramatic moment yet. A helpless Felton was screaming, and was horrified, covering her face with her hands, as she, Richie, and fellow judge scurried to the stage and medics arrived on the scene.
Funke was then whisked away by ambulance to the hospital for dehydration treatment and possible stitches in her chin; the situation could have been much, much worse, and the contestants were reassured that Funke would be able to return to the competition. Why? Because, as Richie later revealed to the shell-shocked Felton, the judges had been planning all along to put Felton and Lagoke through to the next round, despite that “trainwreck” comment.
LIONEL RICHIE: You got yourself at the end, and the problem is--
- American Idol's Hollywood week is known to be the most grueling week of the entire season. And during Monday night's duets challenge, the pressure took its toll on contestant Funke Lagoke.
- She busted her chin, y'all.
- Are you OK? Can you hear me? You're good?
- You're good. During rehearsals, Funke and her duet partner Ronda Felton bonded over their shared trauma and struggles with self-esteem. However, Funke had admitted that the emotional roller coaster ride of the past 24 hours had gotten to her. And after a not so perfect performance, which Lionel Richie called a train wreck, Funke just couldn't handle it anymore.
- Are you OK? What's going on? Funke. Funke, can you hear me?
- The horrifying fall had viewers immediately taking to social media worried for Funke. One person tweeted, "Not only was that performance emotional, but poor Funke. My jaw dropped. Hope she's OK." Ultimately, Funke was rushed to the hospital for dehydration treatment and possible stitches to her chin. But fortunately, the contestants and viewers were later assured that she would return to the competition. In fact, Lionel later revealed to Ronda that she and Funke would be going through to the next round.
LIONEL RICHIE: Both of you deserve to go through. So I want you to know, congratulations. OK? I know that was traumatic.
RONDA FELTON: Yeah.
LIONEL RICHIE: OK. But we're here for you. We're family. OK?