Each year, The Mighty recognizes 10 individuals who made an impact in the mental health community – and it’s time to start collecting nominations for 2018.
We want to know: Who inspired you this year? Who helped you on your mental health journey? Who’s doing cool or innovative things in the mental health space? It can be a public figure or a celebrity, but doesn’t have to be. We just want to know who made a difference this year, and why they deserve to be recognized.
This year, there are two ways you can celebrate the mental health heroes in your life:
1. Officially nominate someone to be one of The Mighty’s Mental Health Heroes.
Fill out this form to nominate someone to be a one of our mental health heroes! Let us know who they are and why they inspire you. We don’t repeat winners from year to year, so make sure your nominee wasn’t already one of our heroes. Head here to see our list of heroes from last year.
2. Share who inspires you using the hashtag #MentalHealthHero.
Just like not all heroes wear capes, not all heroes have huge social media followings or recognizable names. That’s why we want to also recognize the everyday mental health heroes in your life. Post a Thought or Question on The Mighty using the hashtag #MentalHealthHero, and let us know who inspires you — from your therapist to your mom, to your dog to a teacher.
Don’t know how to post a Thought or Question? Here’s how:
Start by selecting the Post button in the navigation bar.
- In the Post menu, choose Post a Thought. This will open a pop-up window.
- If you want, add a title for your Thought in the Title field. Make sure to include the hashtag #MentalHealthHero.
- Write your thought in the Your Thought field.
- Don’t forget to include hashtags related to your Thought (#MentalHealth, #Suicide, #Depression, #Anxiety, etc.). Including hashtags in your post will help people following that topic see what you shared. Start by typing # then type the hashtag you want to use. You can select an existing hashtag or create your own.
- When you’re finished writing your post and adding your hashtags, select the Post button inside the pop-up window to finish sharing your thought.
- You’ll find your post in your Profile. People who follow you and people who follow any hashtags you used will see your Thought in their Mighty Homefeed.
We’re so proud of all the work the mental health community has done this year to raise awareness and make change. We’re so proud of all the amazing people who give back, even when experiencing their own mental health struggles. No matter who ends up on our list, know this is a celebration of people. A celebration of us. There are positive changes happening in the mental health space, and it’s all because of people like you.
Have a question about The Mighty’s Mental Health Heroes of 2018? Post it in the comments below.