There are a million kooky kitchen tools out there—we could write about a new one every day. But while shopping for essentials like a salad spinner, a bigger pot, or a new cutting board might not be quite as exciting as a little aspirational browsing of the internet's niche baking equipment or coffee gear, it's often vital for finding everyday flow in the kitchen.
I should know—In the past few months since joining Epicurious, I’ve been wooed by little silicone jackets for my cut lemons and cold brew coffee makers for my morning cup. While both gizmos have been useful (less waste! less spending!) the tool that has brought me the most joy and ease—and helped me most with my weeknight cooking—is a simple cutting board.
The board in question is an ochre colored slab made up of 75 percent post-consumer plastic scraps gathered from kitchen tool manufacturing. The other 25 percent of the board comes from sugarcane, which replaces petroleum as a structural polymer. It’s lightweight but has enough heft for chopping sturdy produce. It has a handy cut out so you can hang it on a pot rack. And it can be popped in the dishwasher—unlike the heavy maple slab I had been lugging across my kitchen to the sink previously.
"We wanted to create a dishwasher-safe mate to our wooden cutting board, but we were really conflicted about the idea of putting yet another plastic cutting board out into the world," Eunice Byun the CEO and co-founder of Material, tells me. She explains that the brand’s goal is “to bring form and function together in the kitchen in a more sustainable way”—something that was relatively easy to achieve with their sleek-handled walnut spoons and Japanese steel knives, but proved to be more of a challenge when she and her partner Dave Nguyen decided to tackle the need for an easy-wash cutting board.
After over a year of development and testing, the reBoard was born. At $35, it’s more expensive than the OXO Good Grips Utility Board that won our product test, but if you’re in need of a new board and cringe at the idea of putting another pound of fresh plastic into the world—or if, like me, you’re wooed by the trim edit of Mediterranean colors the board comes in—take the plunge. I'd argue that you'll get more bang for your buck that your average plastic cutting board, because this one is pretty enough to use as a serving board for cheese or crudités.
I still use my wooden board now and then, but when I’ve got a lot of chopping to do and can't be bothered to wash the big wooden slab, I reach for the reBoard. My flow of chop, tilt and scrape, rinse, and chop again is better and faster than ever. And unlike grubby plastic cutting mats and bleak plastic boards of kitchens past, I don’t even itch to stash it away when friends come over for dinner.
Originally Appeared on Epicurious