The father of two Parkland-shooting survivors was shot and killed in an armed robbery at his own convenience store yesterday. A Miami affiliate of NBC reported the shooting. Ayub Ali, a father of four, was 61. Two of his children survived during the shooting at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School earlier this year.
The Parkland shooting catalyzed a massive country-wide reckoning on gun violence, with many of the survivors becoming activists and faces for the gun-control movement. The initial slogan for post-Parkland activism was #NeverAgain.
According to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office, the suspect robbed the store’s cash register and left, then returned to shoot Ali; he was later transported to a hospital in Fort Lauderdale, where he was pronounced dead.
Ali’s store reopened Thursday, and customers have created a makeshift memorial for him. The crime was captured on surveillance video, which shows the suspect wearing a skull cap and black vest. The Sheriff’s Office is asking for anyone with information to contact them for a reward.
- Why Does Every Male Celebrity Look Like Draco Malfoy Now?
- The Lioness and the Cheese Grater: History’s Most Mysterious Sex Position
- 13 Things to Say to Get Her Totally Soaked
- My Life As a 21-Year-Old Professional Matchmaker
- Maybe She Had So Much Money She Just Lost Track of It