If You Have This Fan at Home, Stop Using It Immediately

Lauren Gray
·4 min read

You probably don't think much about your ceiling fan, despite the fact that it consists of metal blades whizzing by just overhead. But a new fan recall will have you paying much more attention. According to a report by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), a popular ceiling fan which has sold at least 182,000 units, has been voluntarily recalled for safety concerns. Read on for more on this fan recall, and for another product to ditch, check out These Beloved Holiday Cookies Have Just Been Recalled.

The product in question is the Hampton Bay 54-inch Mara Indoor/Outdoor Ceiling Fan in the finishes matte white, matte black, black, and polished nickel, sold exclusively at Home Depot. On Dec. 23, CPSC reported that the manufacturer, King of Fans, had received 47 complaints of "blades detaching from the fan, including two reports of the fan blade hitting a consumer and four reports of the blade causing property damage." Consumers are warned that they should immediately stop using these ceiling fans, and follow instructions from the manufacturer to inspect their unit for safety. As the manufacturer explains, the malfunction is due to a "manufacturing defect with the assembly of the fan blade's locking clip to the fan's flywheel, where one of the two screws retaining the locking clip is not adequately secured to the flywheel."

In other words, if you've ever noticed concerning blade movement, uneven gaps between the blades and fan body, or any movement of the clip during inspection, you should uninstall the unit immediately. You can also look at the UPC code printed on a silver rating label at the top of the fan to determine if your unit could be compromised. Those codes are 082392519186 for matte white, 082392519193 for matte black, 082392599195 for black, and 082392599188 for polished nickel.

The company invites customers to contact King of Fans for a free replacement ceiling fan, or to visit their recall site for more information. Read on for more recent recalls that have shocked customers, and for more products to toss, check out If You Take These Popular Supplements, Stop Now.

Read the original article on Best Life.

1

Towsleys phone chargers

Charging smartphone with wireless charger
Charging smartphone with wireless charger

According to another report by the CPSC, Towsleys 3-in-1 Qi wireless chargers, power banks, and travel wall chargers have also been subject to recall for posing a risk to consumer safety. The company recalled roughly 1,500 units after being notified of four devices overheating, two of which resulted in fires. And for another product to look out for, check out Ring Doorbells Are Being Recalled for This Frightening Reason.

2

Coulter Ventures' Rogue home timers

closeup of digital timer, black with red numbers
closeup of digital timer, black with red numbers

If you purchased one of Coulter Venture's Rogue home timers, you may have a new excuse not to work out today. Nearly 9,000 of the timers, used to time workout intervals, were recalled in November, after it was discovered that the devices' lithium-ion batteries could overheat and potentially cause fires. At the time of recall, there were seven reports of batteries overheating, and two reports of the battery compartment melting.

3

InvoSpa electric blankets

young woman wrapped in blanket with mug, looking at phone
young woman wrapped in blanket with mug, looking at phone

On Nov. 12, the CPSC reported that InvoSpa was recalling roughly 7,050 of its electric throw heated blankets after 26 customers reported instances of the blanket overheating. In one report, a user reported being burned. If you've purchased this product, you "should immediately stop using the recalled blankets and contact InvoSpa for instructions on how to receive a full refund," according to the CPSC. And for more recall news delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.

4

Allen + Roth electric fireplaces

bad puns
bad puns

On Dec. 9, the CPSC announced that a popular model of electric fireplace has been recalled due to the risk of it catching fire. According to the report, 48,000 Allen + Roth 62-inch wide 5,120-BTU infrared quartz fireplaces were sold between Jan. 2013 and Apr. 2018 by Lowe's Home Improvement online and in stores. As of the recall date, 28 customers had reported that their fireplaces were overheating, catching fire, or emitting smoke, with several reports of smoke damage caused by the heaters. There was also one case of smoke inhalation reported. And for another recall to be aware of, check out If You Have This Frozen Meal at Home, Throw It Away Right Now.