A 3-year-old boy is now recovering from an alleged "flesh-eating" bacterial infection after swimming in a Texas lake, his aunt told local news.
A trip to the lake put a young Texas boy in the hospital. His family says he contracted a flesh-eating infection, and they have a warning for other families.Posted by NBC Charlotte on Tuesday, August 15, 2017
Layne Custer reportedly went swimming at Lake Sam Rayburn in Cassels-Boykin Park on July 25. Later that night, mysterious but painful bumps started to appear on the toddler's skin.
"He kept complaining about the spots on his back, that they were hurting and the next morning he was in a lot of pain and sores were all over him," relative Samantha Lane told 12News.
The first hospital initially diagnosed the boy with a viral infection, his mother Amber Custer wrote on Facebook, but the bumps continued to spread across his stomach and legs. The Lufkin, Texas, family then visited a series of doctors who attributed the marks to various causes.
Ultimately, Lane says that experts treated the boy for a flesh-eating bacterial infection. However, Sharon Shaw of the Angelina County and Cities Health District recently told KTRE that there are no active alerts for flesh-eating bacteria in the region and it's unclear whether Layne's illness is related to swimming at the lake.
Necrotizing fasciitis - popularly known as a "flesh-eating infection" - occurs when bacteria spreads quickly and kills the body's soft tissue, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) explains. A Streptococcus (group A strep) causes about 1,000 cases of necrotizing fasciitis in the United States per year, but other bacteria can lead to it as well.
While doctors can usually treat cases caused by group A strep bacteria easily, the disease can prove deadly. The CDC says "common sense and good wound care" can help prevent it, such as avoiding whirlpools, hot tubs, swimming pools and natural bodies of water if you have an open wound or skin infection. See a doctor immediately if you experience symptoms like pain, swelling, blisters, fever or chills. The disease can spread quickly, so it's important to seek medical care right away.
GoodHousekeeping.com reached out to Amber Custer to confirm the diagnosis and the infection's potential cause.
[h/t Daily Mail]
You Might Also Like