This past season of television has had some epic fashion moments. Here are the five most memorable costume moments from your favorite Emmy-nominated shows:
1. The costumes in The Handmaid’s Tale made an incredible statement both onscreen and off. In June, 30 women even sported red cloaks and winged bonnets outside the Capitol building, to protest the controversial health care bill.
2. Netflix’s period piece The Crown has been garnering much talk for exceptional costumes, specifically Queen Elizabeth II’s wedding dress. The beautiful gown has intricate beading and, according to costume designer Michele Clapton, “the train alone took six weeks to embellish with a team of students and embroiderers on rotation, while the bodice, the skirting, and the appliqué were all crafted at the same time at separate locations.”
While the men rocked some rock-star Elvis style:
Costume designer Alix Friedberg revealed that the fundraiser scene was a really big moment in costume development for Jane, who’s played by Shailene Woodley. “She gets to have a Pretty Woman moment at the end of the season, when she dresses up like Audrey Hepburn. … It’s the first time you get to see her shape; you really don’t get a sense of her body before then.”
Millie Bobby Brown, who plays Eleven, talked about the iconic dress and how it become such a staple, saying, “people are embracing her character and trying to portray her. … I’m cool with people dressing up as Eleven for Halloween. I definitely want to open my door and give them candy.”
5. In Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Titus Andromedon paid homage to Beyoncé by “Lemonade-ing.” He even wore the iconic yellow dress from Hold Up.
However, according to costume designer Tina Nigro, “the writers had actually written that it was going to be MetroCards, and in my mind, I originally wanted to make it out of mops, but it didn’t flow as much as I wanted it to, so we ended up making the dress of ripped yards and yards of yellow fabric.”
Read more at Yahoo Style + Beauty:
- Houston couple cancels wedding reception for the best reason
- Disney star wears ‘I am a Michelle’ T-shirt for NYFW
- Heidi Klum on her new clothing line and why no one wanted her to do fashion shows