Emily Maitlis opens up on details of Prince Andrew interview

Amy Johnson
·2 mins read
The Duke of York, speaking for the first time about his links to Jeffrey Epstein in an interview with BBC Newsnight's Emily Maitlis. (BBC)
The Duke of York, speaking for the first time about his links to Jeffrey Epstein in an interview with BBC Newsnight's Emily Maitlis. (BBC)

Emily Maitlis has said she was so focused on her conduct in her interview with Prince Andrew, it was only afterwards she realised the gravity of what had happened.

The 2019 interview that saw the royal discuss his friendship with Jeffrey Epstein was branded a "car-crash" by commentators and in the aftermath, the Duke of York stepped back from his royal duties.

But Maitlis, 49, has said Prince Andrew was "very pleased" with how it had gone at the time in a new interview with Tatler.

Read more: Emily Maitlis ‘bias’ claims dismissed by BBC

Speaking on how she was perceiving the interview at the time, the journalist explained: "You’re so determined not to miss a beat, to check with yourself you haven’t used the wrong tone or got something stupendously wrong, that actually you’re not sitting there grinning, thinking, ‘Hahaha! That’s amazing!’”

Emily Maitlis, broadcaster, at the Cheltenham Literature Festival 2019 on October 5, 2019 in Cheltenham, England. (Photo by David Levenson/Getty Images)
Emily Maitlis, broadcaster, at the Cheltenham Literature Festival 2019 on October 5, 2019 in Cheltenham, England. (Photo by David Levenson/Getty Images)

The Newsnight presenter added to the publication that Andrew was keen to give her a tour of Buckingham Palace and also said they would discuss Prince Albert “next time” she came.

The interview has been nominated for a Bafta in the news category, with the ceremony set to take place on 31 July. It's already picked up the accolade for Interview of the Year at the Royal Television Society Journalism Awards.

Maitlis also scooped the gong for Network Presenter of the Year at the prize-giving.

It wasn't just Andrew who was reportedly satisfied with it either as Maitlis has also said palace aides were "happy" with the interview too before the public reaction.

Prince Andrew, Duke of York attends church in Hillington at St Mary the Virgin church in Sandringham on January 19, 2020 in King's Lynn, England. (Photo by Karwai Tang/WireImage)
Prince Andrew, Duke of York attends church in Hillington at St Mary the Virgin church in Sandringham on January 19, 2020 in King's Lynn, England. (Photo by Karwai Tang/WireImage)

She told Radio Times: "I think their shock was not at the interview itself, but the reaction it caused in the days and weeks afterwards.”

Read more: Prince Andrew absent from Princess Beatrice’s wedding photos

Earlier this month saw Prince Andrew's website, dukeofyork.org, taken down and the link now redirects to his profile page on the royal.uk website which lists all working Royal Family members.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said the contract with the host provider came to an end and was not renewed.