There’s a lot to sink your teeth into at Disney World’s Taste of Epcot International Food and Wine Festival. With more than 20 marketplaces to explore, each one bursting with foods and treats from all over the world. The thing we’re most bummed about missing is the Mac & Cheese Marketplace (!!!). But here’s the upside: The Disney Parks Blog just shared its recipe for gourmet macaroni and cheese with Boursin garlic and fine herbs cheese and herbed panko.
Other food festival standouts this year include Kalua pork sliders with sweet-and-sour pineapple chutney and spicy mayo from Hawaii, piri piri skewered shrimp with citrus-scented couscous from Africa and roast bratwurst in a pretzel roll from Germany. But this mac, made with lots of pantry staples and three types of cheese, is at the top of our to-make list. Here’s how to cook it at home.
4 tablespoons butter
½ cup panko
Coarse salt, to taste
Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese
One 16-ounce box cavatappi pasta or elbow macaroni
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
8 cups whole milk
1½ teaspoon garlic powder
1½ teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
½ pound white cheddar cheese, shredded
½ pound yellow cheddar cheese, shredded
Three 5.2-ounce Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs cheese wheels, divided
Coarse salt, to taste
White pepper, to taste
For Toasted Panko:
1. Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Add panko and stir until combined. Toast in pan for 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Remove from heat; salt to taste. Set aside.
For Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese:
1. Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Drain well. Set aside and keep warm.
2. Melt butter in 5-quart saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly until a blonde roux, approximately 4 minutes.
3. Add milk, garlic powder, onion powder and mustard powder and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and stir constantly for 2-3 minutes, until thickened.
4. Fold in both shredded cheddar cheeses and two Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs cheese wheels. Blend with immersion blender until cheese is melted and smooth.
5. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
6. Add hot, cooked pasta with cheese sauce and mix until combined. Divide evenly into 6-8 bowls.
7. Cut remaining Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs cheese wheel into 6-8 pieces or crumble into a small dish.
8. Top with toasted panko and Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs cheese pieces or crumbles.
9. Serve immediately.