This Is the Deadliest Storm in U.S. History, According to Data

·2 min read

Just last month, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA) publicly predicted an "above-normal" Atlantic hurricane season for 2021. Forecasters from the government organization's Climate Prediction Center said they believe there to be a 60 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 30 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season. With that in mind, we took a look back at the 10 deadliest storms in U.S. history, gathered by U.S. News&World Report, using data from NOAA. Read on to see the damage done from these deadly storms.

RELATED: This Is the Deadliest Animal in the U.S., According to Data.

10

Florida Keys Hurricane

(Original Caption) 9/7/1935-Miami, FL- A scene typical of any spot in the Florida Keys these days, as rescue workers search the hurricane devastated ground for more victims of last Monday's 100-mile-an-hour hurricane, in which an estimated 250 persons were killed.
(Original Caption) 9/7/1935-Miami, FL- A scene typical of any spot in the Florida Keys these days, as rescue workers search the hurricane devastated ground for more victims of last Monday's 100-mile-an-hour hurricane, in which an estimated 250 persons were killed.
  • Location: Florida Keys

  • Year: 1935

  • Storm category: 5

  • Estimated number of deaths: 408

9

Hurricane Audrey

  • Location: Texas and Louisiana

  • Year: 1957

  • Storm category: 4

  • Estimated number of deaths: 416

8

New England Hurricane

  • Location: New York and Connecticut

  • Year: 1938

  • Storm category: 3

  • Estimated number of deaths: 600

RELATED: This Is the Deadliest Job in America, According to Data.

7

Atlantic-Gulf Hurricane

  • Location: Florida and Texas

  • Year: 1919

  • Storm category: 4

  • Estimated number of deaths: 600

6

Georgia-South Carolina Hurricane

  • Location: Georgia and South Carolina

  • Year: 1881

  • Storm category: 2

  • Estimated number of deaths: 700

5

Sea Islands Hurricane

  • Location: Georgia and South Carolina

  • Year: 1893

  • Storm category: 3

  • Estimated number of deaths: 1,000

4

The Cheniere Caminada Hurricane

  • Location: Louisiana

  • Year: 1893

  • Storm category: 4

  • Estimated number of deaths: 1,100

And for more facts about U.S. history sent straight to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.

3

Hurricane Katrina

A view inside the abandoned New Orleans Six Flags that was destroyed by hurricane Katrina
A view inside the abandoned New Orleans Six Flags that was destroyed by hurricane Katrina
  • Location: Louisiana and Mississippi

  • Year: 2005

  • Storm category: 3

  • Estimated number of deaths: At least 1,800

2

Okeechobee Hurricane

Damage in Florida after of the 1928 Okeechobee Hurricane, which caused more than 4,000 deaths. Over 300 deaths occurred in Puerto Rico, before it killed 2,500 in Florida. It is the second-deadliest st
Damage in Florida after of the 1928 Okeechobee Hurricane, which caused more than 4,000 deaths. Over 300 deaths occurred in Puerto Rico, before it killed 2,500 in Florida. It is the second-deadliest st
  • Location: Florida

  • Year: 1928

  • Storm category: 4

  • Estimated number of deaths: 2,500 to 3,000

1

Galveston Hurricane

  • Location: Texas

  • Year: 1900

  • Storm category: Texas

  • Estimated number of deaths: 8,000 to 12,000

RELATED: This Is the Deadliest Road in America, According to Data.