Yahoo Finance's Jared Blikre joins Seana Smith from the floor of the New York Stock Exchange to discuss the latest market moves.
Doctor Detroit: According to recent polling, “the squad” of four outspoken leftist congresswomen are “toxic” to the Democratic Party and far less popular among voters than the liberal establishment media has portrayed them to be. The group of freshmen representatives — comprised of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, Rashida Tlaib of Michigan, and Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts — had dismal approval numbers in the left-leaning poll. That likely explains recent efforts by top House Democratic leaders like Speaker Nancy Pelosi to distance themselves from the group. One of the key rallying cries of “the squad” — aside from hating President Donald Trump with a visceral passion — is their incessant call for the abolition of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency.The squad members have repeatedly likened ICE agents to Nazi storm troopers rounding up innocent people and referred to temporary migrant detention facilities operated by ICE to be akin to Nazi-era “concentration camps.” According to the poll results, however, it would appear that the squad’s efforts to demonize ICE and spur public sentiment toward abolishing the agency has been largely ineffective. In fact, the federal agents who enforce immigration laws received a higher approval rating than any of the four squad members.A mid-July poll by The Economist/YouGov of 1,500 adult U.S. citizens, more than three-quarters of whom were registered voters, asked where the respondents stood in terms of their opinion on ICE and, separately, the four members of “the squad.” ICE was viewed “very” favorably by 27 percent and “somewhat” favorably by 15 percent, for a combined favorable score of 42 percent, with an equal combined unfavorable rating and 17 percent who were “not sure” how they felt about the agency.