Cruise ship capacity could be cut by more than a third

Benjamin Parker
Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line's Grand Celebration will be back sailing in July
Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line's Grand Celebration will be back sailing in July

Strict hygiene measures are being considered by one cruise line, alongside social distancing rules and temperature checks

Passengers should expect a lot more space on board when cruising resumes if ships follow the advice of one line and chop more than a third of capacity.

Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line said it intends to limit the number of cabins by closing two passenger decks – which will leave capacity 40 per cent lower than normal.

Cruise holidays are paused across the world as the industry grapples with the coronavirus outbreak.

Bahamas Paradise is one of the first lines to give a clear summary on how post-pandemic sailing will look, and how the experience is likely to change for travellers.

As well as lowering capacity, health and safety measures will include the disinfection of luggage before loading, pre-boarding temperature checks for passengers, fogging cleans of vacant cabins and strict social distancing protocols.

“As things begin to return to normal after months of quarantine, we can all use a quick getaway. When we return, our on board experience may look a little different to our guests,” said Oneil Khosa, CEO of Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line.

“The wellness of our passengers and crew members remains our top priority and, as such, passengers can expect enhanced sanitisation procedures from embarkation to disembarkation so that they can enjoy a relaxing, safe, stress-free getaway.”

As expected, self-service buffets have been removed, with all food and drink served by crew members who will wear face masks, gloves, hats and aprons.

For shore excursions, tour buses will run at 50 per cent capacity and Bahamas said all operators will be trained using World Health Organisation guidelines.

The new approach extends to crew members, who will be required to undergo temperature checks twice a day.

The medical centre will have isolated wards for passengers who are concerned they may have been exposed to Covid-19.

Sailings for Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line are due to resume again on Grand Celebration from July 25, and from October 2 on Grand Classica.

But Britons will be unable to join these voyages if the UK Foreign Office advice against all but essential travel remains in place. From June 8, British travellers could also be required to self-isolate when returning to the UK. 

Although Bahamas Paradise isn’t among the major cruise lines, its plans for safe cruising when travel restrictions ease could influence other operators, which have been discussing similar steps.

Scylla, which plans to return to action from June 1 with a cruise in Germany, is also planning on fewer customers, compulsory face masks and the removal of self-service dining. 

And earlier this month Daniel Skjeldam, chief executive of Hurtigruten, told Telegraph Travel that there were hundreds of possibilities from screening to cleaning under consideration, including potentially testing guests before they came on board the ships. It would only become mandatory to wear face masks on board if there was conclusive scientific evidence in favour of such a measure.

“That will be a last resort and we will wait as long as possible before making that decision,” Mr Skjeldam said, acknowledging it could be a deterrent for passengers if it was mandatory to wear them in a holiday environment.

But the vast majority of cruise companies are keeping quiet on how their future operations might look.

Tui said it didn’t yet have the details of what sailings would look like, and Royal Caribbean said it was unable to provide information at this time.

A spokesperson for P&O Cruises and Cunard Line was unable to give specific detail but said that “new enhanced measures may, no doubt, encompass rigorous pre-embarkation screening, changes to the on-board experience for guests”.

More From

  • US health secretary Alex Azar praises Taiwan president Tsai Ing-wen in breakthrough meeting

    US Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar met with Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen on Monday during the highest-level visit by an American Cabinet official since the break in formal diplomatic ties between Washington and Taipei in 1979. Ms Tsai said to reporters at the Presidential Office Building that said she looked for "even more breakthroughs and fruits of cooperation" in dealing with the coronavirus pandemic and other issues to "jointly contribute to the sustained peaceful development of the Indo-Pacific region." Mr Azar praised Taiwan's response to Covid-19 and said its success was a tribute to the "open, transparent, democratic nature of Taiwan's society and culture." "It's a true honour to be here to convey a message of strong support and friendship from President Trump to Taiwan," Mr Azar said. Mr Azar is due to hold consultations with health officials and deliver a speech later in the day. Beijing has protested Mr Azar's visit as a betrayal of US commitments not to have official contact with the island that China claims as its own territory and threatens to use force to bring under its control. Mr Azar's visit was facilitated by the 2018 passage of the Taiwan Travel Act, which encouraged Washington to send higher-level officials to Taiwan after decades during which such contacts were rare. China cut contacts with Ms Tsai over her refusal to recognize China's claim to the island and has brought increasing diplomatic, economic and military pressure against her, including by poaching away several of its remaining diplomatic allies and excluding it from international gatherings including the World Health Assembly. That, in turn, has increased already considerable bipartisan sympathy for Taipei in Washington and prompted new measures to strengthen governmental and military ties. Closer relations come as Washington is enmeshed in a series of disputes with Beijing over trade, technology, the South China Sea and Beijing's crackdown on opposition voices in Hong Kong. Taiwan, an island of 23 million people, moved swiftly and aggressively to contain Covid-19 and has recorded just 277 cases and seven deaths from the illness.

  • Boris Johnson plans to set new targets for police in a bid to improve record-low rape prosecutions

    Boris Johnson has been warned that imposing targets on police and prosecutors to improve record-low rape prosecutions will not solve the problem alone. The Prime Minister's crime and justice taskforce is considering setting targets for police to refer more strong cases to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), according to the Guardian. Targets to prosecute and bring more cases to trial were also reported to be planned for the CPS, with the detail set for to be announced later this year. No 10 did not deny the report, and a Government spokeswoman said: "We will continue to work with the police to look at ways to improve their role in the investigation and prosecution of rape, and ensure that their guidance and best practice is implemented in every police force area." Victims' Commissioner for England and Wales, Dame Vera Baird, said: "If this is as reported, I think it is an excellent move by the Prime Minister and his team. "Targets are an imperfect tool but the specific focus on the Crown Prosecution Service is vital. "CPS leadership put a perverse target on its own staff in 2016-17 of only prosecuting solid certainties, in order to increase their conviction rate. "This has led to appallingly low numbers of prosecutions and convictions ever since, and to the latest shameful CPS statistics released at the end of last month. "The police must now revert to submitting more cases which they consider to meet the evidential test to the CPS, and should be reassured that the previous brake on prosecutions will be removed." However, Sarah Green, director of the End Violence Against Women Coalition charity, said "we urge great caution in target setting". "The setting of such targets needs deep thought and consultation, so as not to create yet another external objective which police and CPS yet again change their behaviour to meet, all the while still not focusing on victim needs and rights," she said. She said one of the great challenges is how rape is "surrounded by myths" about how victims and perpetrators behave. "Those working in the system, from police front door to the courtroom, know this. "They need rules, guidelines and resources which help them counter these myths, and absolutely no abstract target which encourages 'managing' their conviction performance," she said. Harriet Wistrich, director of the Centre for Women's Justice charity, said targets "may place pressure" on officers and prosecutors. But she added: "The main change required is to reverse the CPS' risk-averse approach and bring more prosecutions where the evidence supports it." The proposal comes after CPS figures last month showed rape convictions in England and Wales plummeted by a quarter in a year. Just 1,439 alleged rapists were convicted of rape or lesser offences in 2019/20 - down 25pc from 1,925 the previous year, according to CPS data. The number of completed prosecutions also reached a record low, with 2,102 in 2019/20, compared with 3,034 in 2018/19, a fall of about 31pc. Dr Olivia Smith, a criminologist at Loughborough University who researches the justice system's response to rape, said "it's jumping the gun a little bit" to impose targets without identifying the causes of the problem. "My concern is this target will lead to more acquittals at trial," she said. "Unless they actually deal with the myths and stereotypes that juries hold, the inappropriate use of evidence, unless we stop looking into whether someone has GCSEs when they've complained of rape, unless we stop doing things like that it's not going to increase the conviction rate, it's just going to increase the number of traumatised victims."

  • Hong Kong media tycoon Jimmy Lai arrested under China's national security law

    Hong Kong media tycoon Jimmy Lai has been arrested over suspected collusion with foreign forces under the new national security law, his top aide said on Twitter, in what is the highest-profile arrest yet under the legislation. Mr Lai has been one of the most prominent democracy activists in the Chinese-ruled city and an ardent critic of Beijing, which imposed the sweeping new law on Hong Kong on June 30, drawing condemnation from Western countries. The new security law punishes anything China considers subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces with up to life in prison. Critics say it crushes freedoms in the semiautonomous city, while supporters say it will bring stability after prolonged pro-democracy protests last year. "Jimmy Lai is being arrested for collusion with foreign powers at this time," Mark Simon, a senior executive at Mr Lai's media company Next Digital, which publishes local tabloid Apple Daily, said early on Monday on Twitter. Police said on Monday they had arrested 7 people on suspicion of breaching the city's new national security law for offences including collusion with foreign powers. They were all local men, aged 39-72, it said, without naming them. Police said the operation was still ongoing and further arrests possible.

  • Rory McIlroy hits out at Brooks Koepka ‘mind games’ at US PGA Championship

    Major or no major, Rory McIlroy believes there is a line you do not cross, regardless of your ambition in any given week. The Northern Irishman re-emphasised his belief on Sunday night by calling out Brooks Koepka for disrespectful “mind games” against Dustin Johnson before the final round of the 102nd USPGA Championship. Koepka was on the first hole at Harding Park and trying to become the first player to win three strokeplay Wanamaker Trophies when McIlroy made his comments. After his 68 to close on two under, McIlroy was asked what he thought about Koepka’s sideswipe at his Ryder Cup team-mate the previous evening, saying that “he’s only won one”. Koepka also implied that Johnson had found the second major the hardest to win. “I was watching the golf last night and heard the [Koepka] interview and was just sort of taken aback a little bit by what he said and whether he was trying to play mind games or not – if he’s trying to play mind games, he’s trying to do it to the wrong person,” McIlroy said. “It’s a very different mentality to bring to golf that I don’t think a lot of golfers have. Just different. I try to respect everyone out here. Everyone is a great player. If you’ve won a major, you’re a hell of a player.” Then McIlroy delivered his own biting barb towards Koepka. “It’s sort of hard to knock a guy that’s got 21 wins on the PGA Tour, which is three times as many as Brooks,” McIlroy said. Koepka has a burgeoning reputation as an elite golfer willing to put down his peers. Apart from his many jibes at Bryson DeChambeau, Koepka was dismissive last year when asked if he felt there was a rivalry between him and McIlroy. “I’ve been out here for, what, five years – Rory hasn’t won a major since I’ve been on the PGA Tour,” Koepka said. ”So I just don’t view it as a rivalry.” McIlroy shrugged it off at the time, but was known privately to be unimpressed. In some ways McIlroy’s attitude towards Koepka’s irreverence is curious seeing as he, himself, declared that the European golfers such as Tommy Fleetwood and Francesco Molinari were wrong to skip the early PGA Tour restart events following lockdown and stated they should be there “if they cared about their careers”. Except McIlroy did not name anyone directly and climbed down from those comments recently. There is plainly a distaste of Koepka’s discourtesy. As it was, it was another quote in McIlroy’s post-major press conference on Sunday night that will make the eyebrows rise the most in some quarters. Monday is the six-year anniversary of the 31-year-old’s last major win – the 2014 US PGA win. He was quizzed by an Irish journalist “why you find it’s difficult to hang around for 54, 63 holes in recent seasons compared to say earlier in your career?” McIlroy replied: “Maybe I’m just not as good as I used to be. I don’t know.” The world No 3 was being prickly and does not truly believe that. “I feel like the golf that I’ve played in the majors has been sort of similar to the golf I’ve played outside of them, and I’ve won some big events and played well and had a good season last year,” McIlroy said. “I can’t really put my finger on it. I go out there and try my best every single day. Some days I play better than others, and I just have to keep going and keep persisting and see if you can do better the next time.” It was a legitimate query on the reporter’s behalf. Something is plainly missing when it comes to the majors for McIlroy, seeing as he won four by the age of 25 and all too often it is slow starts and/or sloppy errors at crucial times. This was a satisfactory end to his San Francisco quest, but a finishing time before the leaders had even teed-off obviously fell far short of what he expects. For now, McIlroy is simply trying to rediscover the consistency that saw him chalk up seven successive PGA Tour top-fives before the coronavirus hooter sounded. In his six events since the resumption, McIlroy has not recorded a single top-10 finish and only one top 20. “This was one of the tougher tests that we’ve faced since coming back, together with the Memorial a few weeks ago,” he said. “I’ve sort of gauged those two events as the barometer of where my game is, and I’m going to pretty much finish in the same spot around 30th. There’s been enough good stuff in there, I’m just making a few too many mistakes. Try to clean that up going forward.”