Corn Fritter Caprese with Peaches and Tomatoes
Servings: 6 servings
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
3 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 4 ears of corn)
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs, whisked
¼ cup half-and-half
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tomatoes, thickly sliced
4 peaches, thickly sliced
12 ounces fresh mozzarella, thickly sliced
½ cup basil leaves, roughly torn
Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
Flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large bowl, toss the scallions, corn, parsley, basil, salt, pepper and red-pepper flakes. Add the flour and baking powder, and toss until the mixture is well combined.
2. Add the eggs and half-and-half and then mix with a spatula until a thick batter forms. Fold in the mozzarella and Parmesan.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil. While it heats, line a baking sheet with paper towels.
4. When the oil is hot, scoop ¼-cup portions of batter into the skillet. You’ll need to work in batches, cooking just a few at a time. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes, then flip and cook until golden on the other side, about 2 to 3 minutes more.
5. When the fritters are cooked, transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Continue until you’ve used all the batter.
6. To assemble, arrange the corn fritters, tomatoes, peaches and mozzarella slices on a large platter. Sprinkle basil evenly over the top. Garnish with a generous drizzle of olive oil, flaky salt and freshly ground black pepper.