Don’t get it twisted! Game of Thrones actress Sophie Turner‘s braid game is just as strong as her co-star, Emilia Clarke. Not too long after the 20-year-old ditched her auburn locks for platinum blonde (and then later for a more natural, golden-honey hue), she stepped out on the red carpet with this tousled braided hairstyle. And we love that she chose a leather accessory instead of the typical black elastic.
In the video above, Cristina B. of the Rita Hazan Salon recreates Turner’s romantic braid. You’ll need the right texture-enhancing hair products, a black leather ribbon, and two hands to copy this look. Keep reading for a full breakdown of this braid tutorial.
- Spray Oribe Superfine Hair Spray all over to prep hair.
- Take a boar bristle brush, like the Mason Pearson, to work product throughout and to smooth strands.
- Create loose curls with a 1 1/4-inch barrel curling iron. Then spritz again with the Superfine Hairspray to create a long-lasting hold.
- To build a natural-looking texture, spritz underneath curls with Matrix Texture Builder.
- Lightly tease at roots with a rat-tail comb. This will help to enhance volume.
- Use your fingers to gently loosen up curls.
- Gather bottom half of hair and form a loose, thick braid. Secure with an elastic.
- Use a bobby pin to attach your black leather ribbon where braid ends and then wrap around base of ponytail, concealing the elastic. Add bobby pin at end of ribbon.
- Pull down front right pieces to frame face and pin back the left side behind ear.
- Finish the look with texturizing spray.