If you don’t know who Lilly Singh is, then you should probably get familiar. The YouTube star has racked up a lot of industry credit this year, including roles in Bad Moms and Ice Age: Collision Course, a coveted spot on Forbes’ “30 Under 30” Hollywood and Entertainment list, and her own signature deep-red lipstick with Smashbox called “Bawse by Lilly Singh.” And she’s earned some style cred too with her red carpet looks, like this über-cool side-braids hairstyle she sported at an Ice Age screening.
Hairstylist Cristina B. of the Rita Hazan Salon works her braiding magic in this “Copy That” tutorial. Follow along to learn exactly how to recreate Singh’s side braids, and check out the guide below for more details.
1. Prep hair with Rita Hazan Triple Threat Split End Remedy, focusing on the ends to help minimize frizz and seal split ends.
2. Take a rat-tail comb and part one side of the head into three sections for the braids. Then, do three medium-sized cornrows and secure the ends with a clear elastic.
3. Spritz entire head with Oribe Superfine Hair Spray and brush hair opposite of braids with a mixed boar bristle and nylon brush (Cristina B. prefers the Mason Pearson) before curling.
4. Separate loose hair into medium pieces and use a 2-inch barrel curling iron to create loose curls. Pro trick: Rotate between curling each section toward you and away from your face, leaving the ends free from the iron for a natural, beachy finish.
5. Apply a few drops of a lightweight oil (try Déesse’s Elujuda Fluent Oil) to your hands before separating curls with fingertips.