You may never want to get out of bed.
Your mattress, pillows, and especially your bed sheets can influence the quality of your sleep. One big trend: cooling bedding. Some people naturally have a higher body temperature for a variety of reasons—such as menopause, diabetes, and hyperthyroidism—and in these cases sleep doctors recommend choosing bed sheets made with lighter, natural materials like bamboo, cotton, and linen. Linen is an excellent choice for hot sleepers because it's lightweight, with fibers that are more breathable than other fabrics.
While linen isn't as soft as cotton, it has recently become more popular because of its cozy, textured look. Linen is also on the pricier side because its made from the flax plant, which is usually grown in Belgium and France. But trust us: It's worth the investment because it's durable and may last longer than other fabrics.
As a general rule, the higher the thread count, the softer the sheets, but for linen sheets you want a thread count between 80 and 150. (The ideal thread count for lightweight cotton sheets should be between 200 and 400.) This will still give you that soft, smooth feel that you crave, but it's much more breathable—anything higher will just cause you to overheat.
While there isn't a hard rule about how often you should wash your sheets, the National Sleep Foundation recommends that you change your sheets at least once a week to keep allergens and bacteria at bay. If you're not able to wash your bed sheets once a week, then at least try to wash your pillowcases.
We rounded up the best linen sheets to help you get a better night's sleep. Check out our top picks below.
• Best Overall: Parachute Linen Sheet Set
• Best Value: Simple & Opulence 100% Linen Sheet Set
• Best Hypoallergenic: Len Linum European Made Pure Linen Sheet Set
• Best Year-Round: Tuft & Needle Linen Sheet Set
• Best Linen-Bamboo: Kassatex Linen Bamboo Sheet Set
• Rave Reviews: Brooklinen Linen Core Sheet Set
• Fair Trade: West Elm Belgian Flax Linen Sheet Set
• Customizable: Linoto 100% Linen Sheet Set
• Monogrammable: Lands’ End Garment Washed Linen Solid Sheet Set
• Durable: Saphyr Home Pure Linen Sheet Set
• Super Soft: Snowe Linen Sheet Set
• Luxury: Cultiver Linen Sheet Set