Broccoli Soup with Spinach, Cilantro and Croutons
Servings: 6 servings
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
1 pound fresh broccoli, stems and florets separated and chopped
2 packed cups baby spinach
5 cups vegetable broth (or water)
¼ cup cilantro leaves
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon kosher salt
4 cups cubed bread
1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1. Make the Soup: In a Dutch oven or medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and salt, and cook, stirring, until aromatic, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the broccoli, spinach and broth (or water). Cover and simmer until the broccoli is tender, 13 to 15 minutes.
4. Make the Croutons: Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix the olive oil with the minced garlic and salt. Add the bread and toss to coat. Spread the bread cubes evenly on the prepared baking sheet, then bake until golden brown, 13 to 15 minutes. While still hot, toss the croutons with the cilantro and lemon zest.
5. Add the cilantro and black pepper to the soup. Carefully transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth (working in batches if necessary). Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Divide the soup among bowls and top with the croutons.