Today Apple released its annual holiday ad in two formats. There’s a three-minute version posted online, as well as a 60-second version that will be airing on TV, beginning Monday evening, Nov. 25, right before the big Thanksgiving travel weekend. Have the Kleenex nearby, because each version is about to tug hard on your heartstrings.
The ad takes on the mighty endeavor of traveling with squabbling kids during the holiday season — with an unexpected twist involving the magic and creativity of technology. A family with two daughters travels far to visit Grandpa, who’s recently been widowed. And an iPad bridges gaps between generations in a way you won’t see coming. We caught all the feels — and we’re betting you will too.
More from SheKnows
- This New Apple Music Feature Will Make You & Your Kids Very Happy
- A New Study Says Excess Screen Time Affects Toddler Brain Development
- Screen Time Actually Makes My Kid More Creative
If you don’t have an iPad, this commercial might just convince you that your family should have one. We’re amazed by how much is possible with one of these gadgets in 2019. Each iPad allows access to — get this — over a million apps that allow for major creativity: drawing, video, photography, and music. And now iPad technology allows Apple Pencil across its whole line — yet another reason an iPad should maybe be at the top of your Santa list this holiday season.
Want to make your own personalized holiday cards and party invitations? iPad’s got you, with numerous apps that will get the job done (and did we mention they’re FUN?).
Here are four your family is sure to love if you’re a holiday-card-sending posse:
- Felt: Greeting, Birthday Cards: According to Apple, you can add your own handwritten note to your Holiday cards with an iPad and Apple Pencil: “Felt will print your custom card and handwritten message on premium paper and envelopes, and mail to your recipient with 24 hours.” Sweet!
- Punkpost: Handwritten cards: Is your handwriting a little shabby? No sweat. Apple’s got you: Just choose a card, compose a message, add your own pics, and a handwriting artist will create and mail the card for you. (Apple says Punkpost is now ready and improved with Dark Mode, too!)
- Ink Cards: Mail Greeting Cards: Send completely unique cards directly to loved ones without the annoying trip to the store. Apple says that with Ink Cards, you can “add an embossed envelope and upgrade to thicker matte card. You can also ship a pack of personalized cards to yourself.” Sometimes these high-tech days aren’t all that bad.
- Greetings: Custom Holiday Cards: Another app for holiday cards, offering 50 templates, customizable with your own photos and words. Your messages will be printed on 100% recycled card-stock. Yes, please!
For more, check out: Send Your Holiday Cards Now! On the App Store
Other apps we’ll bet your family will adore are Apple’s creative lineup:
- Lake: Coloring Books: Adult coloring books are all the rage — but your kids might love ’em too. There’s spray paint and customized color palettes. And you can swap out between coloring between the lines and doing your own thing.
- iOrnament: One simple stroke of Apple Pencil, and iOrnament will turn the result into amazing designs, patterns and mandalas. Who says you’re not an artist?
- Pigment: Pigment is the award-winning coloring app with tons of content from Disney and The Jim Henson Company. Go nuts with a unique coloring experience that lets you color with 29 different pencils, markers, and brushes. Plus you can import photos of you and the kids — and color those.
- Colorful: Coloring Art Games: The new AR virtual gallery, whoa. Now you can visualize your art in the real world — how cool is that?
- Marvel: Color Your Own: Got a Marvel fan? This app offers more than 1000 coloring pages from Guardians of the Galaxy, Civil War, Doctor Strange, Women of Power and more, with new pages added all the time.
- Bloom: Mystery Coloring: Relax as you uncover beautiful art with mystery coloring. Follow the symbols to add color and turn a blank screen into art – then share the time-lapse of your work.
- Procreate: Portrait Fun: Import cherished family photos into Procreate — and become a portrait artist. Add time-lapse videos of your portrait stunner as you go along.
- Tayasui Sketches School: Enjoy more than 20 artist’s tools that really reproduce just like the real deal. An amazing gift for young artists!
Hey, Apple? We’re sold.
Best of SheKnows
- Bye, 'Gran' — These Grandparent Nicknames Are Anything But Boring
- The Easiest Ways to Keep Your Kids Safe Online — & Put Your Panicked Mind at Ease
- Meet 7 Real Families Living Their Best #VanLife — With Kids