With the holiday season approaching, I want to reflect on all the life experiences I’ve had because of my cerebral palsy and why I consider my cerebral palsy to be one of the best Christmas gifts I’ve ever received.
1. Cerebral palsy has allowed me to see the world from a unique perspective. From the people I meet to the way I move around, every day is a new adventure.
2. Cerebral palsy has allowed me to build friendships. If I didn’t have cerebral palsy, I wouldn’t have the great group of amazing friends I have met that are just like me.
3. Cerebral palsy has taught me strength. When I was younger, I faced many obstacles and challenges. Through those obstacles, I’ve learned the true meaning of strength.
4. Cerebral palsy has taught me to appreciate the little things that make me unique. For example, I have swan neck deformity — my finger is an unusual shape, and that’s OK!
5. Cerebral palsy has given me stories to tell. Being a young woman with cerebral palsy has given me life experiences which I hope to publish someday in the many books I plan to write.
6. Cerebral palsy has taught me that everyone is unique. I’ve learned that everyone has a different story, but that doesn’t mean we can’t come together.
7. Cerebral palsy has made my life fun. Every time I go somewhere, I always have an awesome adventure.
8. Cerebral palsy has given me something to thank God for. It’s no secret that cerebral palsy has given me the best life I could ever ask for, and I have to thank God, because I believe without Him guiding me through this journey, I wouldn’t be the woman I am today.
Although having a condition such as cerebral palsy can sometimes be difficult, I wouldn’t change it for the world. It has taught me so many things. It’s given me many opportunities. It has been one of the best Christmas gifts I have received.