In case you missed the email, Mother's Day is creeping up sooner than you think. On top of fab prix-fixe brunches, it's the perfect excuse to be super sappy and unapologetically earnest about your love for your mama. And, news flash, she'll eat it up. Who doesn't want a shoutout in this economy? Which is why we decided to round up some of the best quotes for, about, and by moms that you can share with your mom.
So before you panic that you haven't even thought about what gift to get her yet, take a deep breath. As your favorite momager Kris Jenner once said, "You're doing amazing, sweetie!" (Yes, that iconique quote is one thousand percent on this list. Don't stress.)
Keep scrolling for the best quotes—according to us, at least—from celebrities, icons, movies, and so much more. And sure, you can just send these to your mom or use them as a caption on an Insta post, but why not go a little further? Pro-tip: Get any of these cute as heck quotes printed on a mug, t-shirt, throw pillow, or a novelty wine glass to really one-up your sibling(s) in the gift department this year.
If your mom is actually your BFF:
- "My mom was always my friend. Always." —Taylor Swift
- "Loving you the way I do/I know we're gonna make it through/And I would go to the ends of the earth/'Cause darling, to me that's what you're worth" —Carole King, "Where You Lead"
- "There are no rules in this house; I'm not like a regular mom, I'm a cool mom!" —Mrs. George, Mean Girls
- “You’re doing amazing, sweetie.” —Kris Jenner
- “Don’t f*ck with my freedom/I came back to get me some/I’m nasty, I’m evil/Must be something in the water or that I’m my mother’s daughter” —Miley Cyrus, "Mother's Daughter"
If you want something sappy as sh*t to make her cry:
- "Always know that you've got a daughter that's so, so proud you took the high road." —Beyoncé, "Ring Off"
- "She taught me that fear is not an option." —Diane von Furstenburg
- "My mother was my role model before I even knew what that word was." —Lisa Leslie
- "If love is as sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love." —Stevie Wonder
- "As she guided me through these last 18 years, I don't think she ever realized that the person I most wanted to be was her." —Rory Gilmore, Gilmore Girls
- "Wish we didn't live, wish we didn’t live so far from each other/I’m just sitting here thinking ‘bout the time that’s slipping/And missing my mother, mother" —Kacey Musgraves, "Mother"
If you're in a book club together:
- "It's a funny thing about mothers... Even when their own child is the most disgusting little blister you could ever imagine, they still think that he or she is wonderful." —Roald Dahl, Matilda
- "A mother is one to whom you hurry when you are troubled." —Emily Dickinson
- "He didn't realize that love as powerful as your mother's love for you leaves its own mark." —J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
- "To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power." —Maya Angelou
- "Life began with waking up and loving my mother's face." —George Eliot
- "Even as a small child, I understood that woman had secrets, and that some of these were only to be told to daughters." —Alice Hoffman, The Dovekeepers
- "The clocks were striking midnight and the rooms were very still as a figure glided quietly from bed to bed, smoothing a coverlid here, settling a pillow there, and pausing to look long and tenderly at each unconscious face, to kiss each with lips that mutely blessed, and to pray the fervent prayers which only mothers utter." —Louisa May Alcott, Little Women
If you two have regular Netflix binges:
- "Get in my fur." —Ramona, Hustlers
- "My mom is too cool." —Hallie Parker, The Parent Trap
- "If you're going to throw your life away, he'd better have a motorcycle!" —Lorelai Gilmore, Gilmore Girls
- "Well, the big deal is that it’s part of my job to make sure you don’t grow up stupid. It’s bad for the world." —Tami Taylor, Friday Night Lights
- "When I first heard about Kim’s tape, as her mother, I wanted to kill her. But as her manager, I knew that I had a job to do." —Kris Jenner
- “If anything, my mother taught me how to sur-thrive. That's my word for it.” —Carrie Fisher
- "How do I explain her? She is as respected as Mother Theresa, as powerful as Stalin, and as beautiful as Margaret Thatcher." —Leslie Knope, Parks and Recreation
- "God couldn't be everywhere, so that's why he invented mothers." —Daphne Wilder, Because I Said So
- "It's not easy being a mother. If it were easy, fathers would do it." —Dorothy, The Golden Girls
If her favorite quote is "Once you're a mother, you'll understand":
- “If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?” —Milton Berle
- "I absolutely want more Grand Slams. … And actually, I think having a baby might help. When I’m too anxious I lose matches, and I feel like a lot of that anxiety disappeared when Olympia was born." —Serena Williams
- "The best thing about having a daughter is having a true legacy," —Beyoncé
- "Nothing can really prepare you for you the sheer overwhelming experience of what it means to become a mother." —Kate Middleton
- "I always say if you aren't yelling at your kids, you're not spending enough time with them." —Reese Witherspoon
- "No one told me I would be coming home in diapers, too." —Chrissy Teigen
If you're at a loss for a Mother's Day Insta caption:
- Sorry for ever thinking you weren’t right about everything.
- Mother [muhth-er]—noun: A MOTHERF*CKING QUEEN.
- Keep calm and call your mom.
- Lol, sorry for everything.
- TYSM for giving me enough conversation topics to fill the awkward silences during therapy.
- I love how we can communicate without even speaking, like when you tell me I’m the favorite child.
- Nothing is really lost until your mom can't find it, and then it’s time to burn it all down.
You Might Also Like