When the temperatures rise, few things are more satisfying than ice cream stuffed between two cakey (or crunchy) cookies. This seasonal delicacy is best known as the ice cream sandwich. While we're fans of the classic chocolate-and-vanilla combo, there are way more inventive renditions out there to try. Read on for 32 ice cream sandwiches that take the O.G. to the next level.
1. The World's Easiest Ice Cream Sandwich
Step 1: Slice a pint of ice cream into stackable rounds. Step 2: Place the slice of ice cream between two store-bought cookies (we're partial to chocolate chip). Step 3: Devour. Ta-da.
2. Chocolate Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches
3. Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
4. Black and White Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
A legendary cookie makes for a legendary dessert. Save time by using store-bought cookies if you'd like (but Ina Garten would be extra proud of you for making them from scratch).
5. Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Bars
We love you, ready-to-bake cookie dough. Be sure to slightly underbake the cookies so they stay soft, chewy and slightly flexible once they're sliced.
6. Donut Ice Cream Sandwich
7. Cake Batter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
8. Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookie-Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches
Where Oatmeal Creme Pies and summertime collide. Save a ton of time by using store-bought cookie dough ice cream instead of homemade. Your secret is safe with us.
9. Chai Ginger Ice Cream Sandwiches
10. Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream Sandwiches
11. Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Calling all chocolate fanatics: These cookies will straight-up change your life. Not only are they made with generous doses of Dutch cocoa and dark chocolate chunks, but a dash of espresso powder makes their flavor even more intense.
12. Salted Caramel and Candied Bacon Ice Cream Sandwiches
Sandwich the ice cream between graham crackers, scoop it up with Ritz crackers or eat it straight from the freezer solo. It'll be revelatory regardless.
13. S’more Ice Cream Sandwiches
This recipe is as simple as layering store-bought ice cream atop graham crackers in a baking dish and freezing until set. But the key is mixing chopped toasted marshmallows into the vanilla ice cream before assembling.
14. Churro Ice Cream Sandwiches
Bury us in crispy fried churro rosettes, please. Go the extra mile by sprinkling on extra toppings after the cinnamon sugar, like chopped pistachios, ground ginger or edible flower petals.
15. Blackberry Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
16. The Munchies Sweet Corn Ice Cream Sandwiches with Peanut Butter-Chip Cookies
Behold: the ultimate sweet-and-salty snack. Not only is the corn ice cream packed with fresh kernels (and a dash of bourbon), but it's also loaded with saltines, pretzels, potato chips and salted butter.
17. Brown Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches
We can't recall what made us drool uncontrollably first, the brown sugar-brown butter ice cream or the homemade waffle cone discs.
18. Tiramisu Ice Cream Sandwiches
Mascarpone-chocolate chunk ice cream finds a home between two crisp espresso cookies to create this epic treat. Up the tiramisu-inspired ante by rolling the sammies in chopped ladyfingers.
19. Red Velvet Sandwiches
If you'd rather use natural dye instead of food coloring (and don't mind your red velvet ice cream being pink), blitz some freeze-dried raspberries in the food processor and add them to the mix.
20. Sugar Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
We have a feeling your kids will fall in love with these at first bite. If you really want to go wild, use cake batter ice cream in place of vanilla and roll the outside of each sandwich in sprinkles.
21. Vegan Chocolate Coffee Ice Cream Sandwiches
22. 6-Ingredient Rice Krispie Treat Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
The nostalgia is strong with this one. The rice treats are held together with honey and peanut butter instead of marshmallow, but that doesn't make them any less decadent.
23. Potato Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
If you believe a cookie is only as good as its mix-ins, look no further than these chocolate chip cookies studded with kettle-cooked potato chips, chopped pecans and oatmeal.
24. Brown Sugar Bacon Ice Cream Sandwich
To get the crispiest bacon bits ever, cook the pieces over low heat to slowly render out as much fat as possible. And be sure to keep a close eye on the pan once you add the brown sugar, since it can burn fast.
25. Heart-Shaped Ice Cream Sandwiches
Made with bittersweet double chocolate cookies. We'd bookmark these now for Valentine's Day if we were you.
26. S'mores Ice Cream Sandwiches
Yet another reason to love this campfire classic. Be sure to give the sammies plenty of time to set in the freezer so they don't melt and fall apart as you eat them.
27. Bite-Size Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
We dare you to stop noshing after just one. (OK, that's impossible—we dare you to stop after five.)
28. Fudgy Brownie and Raspberry Ice Cream Sandwiches
29. Malted Milk Cookies n' Cream Ice Cream Sandwiches
Sweetened condensed milk. Malted milk powder. Crushed Oreos. While we're sure we don't have to say more, did we mention that you don't need an ice cream maker to pull these off?
30. Red Velvet, White and Blue Ice Cream Sandwiches
31. Double Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches
Mint lovers rejoice. Not only are the sandwiches piled high with mint-chip ice cream, but the cookies are also infused with peppermint extract.
32. Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
You can never go wrong with the classic. And trust: They put the store-bought ones to shame.