On Thursday, the cast of 30 Rock returned to NBC for a one time special, and they were joined by a slew of celebrities. Celebrities like Dwayne Johnson, Khloé Kardashian, and Gwen Stefani made cameos and nailed punchlines.
For fans of the show, which went off the air in 2013, it was a great opportunity to reconnect with the hilarious and absurd characters. The show’s voice and comedy proved to still be top notch, as well.
While many viewers had positive reactions on social media to the special, some felt it was a little heavy handed with promotions. NBC made sure to heavily feature the stars of their new shows coming out in the Fall. The special also made several references to Peacock, which is NBC’s newly launched streaming service.
Still, it was awesome seeing Liz Lemon (Tina Fey), Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin), Jenna Maroney (Jane Krakowski), and of course Tracy Jordan (Tracy Morgan).
The fit and finish of the special was also very impressive, considering everything was shot by the actors in isolation. The episode ended with a behind-the-scenes look at production, much of which were family members recording performances on their phones.
For more on 30 Rock, visit NBC.com.
- Woah, it's The Rock!
- Woah, It's Al Roker!
- Duane, it's me! Jenna Maroney! I would just like to apologize for what I tweeted about Moana.
- Uh, Kenneth! Kenneth!
- The award-winning cast of 30 Rock returned to NBC Thursday for a one time special, and they were joined by a slew of celebrities like Khloe Kardashian.
- I think you would be amazing at it. I've always thought you were the funniest person in your family.
- No, I am. So if I do this, would I be able to write my own material? Because I do some really funny impressions. This one is Zandy, my dog's business manager. Hey, Khloe, how are you? You good?
- Viewers loved the special, particularly the cameos, with one person tweeting, "So many celebrity cameos on 30 Rock. I kept waiting for the Donald to make an appearance." But despite all the fun cameos, in the end, Jenna Maroney wanted everyone to know 30 Rock doesn't need any other voices or voice coaches.
- Wait a minute. This was like all planned. I was supposed to sing Sweet Escape at the end.
- Oh, sorry. Gwen, you're muted. You're muted, honey.