A local fire department recently shared a cautionary video demonstrating the dangers of leaving heating devices on and unattended.
The Los Alamos County Fire Department (LAFD) took to Facebook on Monday, Feb. 3, to share footage recorded by a security camera inside a New Mexico home on Jan. 29.
In the clip, which has since been viewed over 20,000 times, a "curious" 9-month-old puppy named Kahuna can be seen climbing on a standing ironing board before inadvertently knocking the device over on its side.
Credit:Â Los Alamos County Fire Department
The guilty puppy and another older canine resident of the home, Paige, scatter due to the loud clatter but eventually settle back down, with one falling asleep on a nearby couch.
About an hour after the initial incident, the board combusts, spreading fire to an ottoman and causing the room to fill with smoke.
Thankfully, no injuries were reported in the fire, as first-responders were able to evacuate the two pets, douse the flames and limit damage to the home.
Fire officials later traced the source of the fire to a furnace-linked heating floor grate on which the ironing board fell.
"The furnace was operating and produced sufficient heat to melt some items, which flowed into the heater and served as the necessary fuel to initiate the fire down inside the furnace unit," the LAFD revealed.
Following the narrowly averted crisis, the department recommended all homeowners "ensure that smoke alarms are installed and working" and that "no combustible items be placed on or within three feet of heating devices or heat producing appliances."
The LAFD jokingly added that Kahuna is expected to enroll in dog training or Youth Firesetting Prevention and Intervention classes soon.