Even if you're not a huge football fan, based on the memes, tweets, and myriad news reports floating around social media, you're probably well aware of the 'Take a Knee" controversy that's taking place between President Donald Trump and the players of the NFL.
Because it's 2017, and these things happen.
On September 22, Trump lashed out at players who didn't stand up doing the national anthem and said they should be fired. Well, his exact, eloquent words were:
"Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say 'get that son of a bitch off the field right now? Out! He's fired! He's fired.'"
The following Sunday, more than 200 players protested during the 14 games played nationwide, along with dozens of celebrities also taking a knee on social media and during some performances.
The practice began with Colin Kaepernick in 2016 who used it as a way for players to protest the treatment of African Americans by police in the United States. Trump tweeted the following Monday morning that his criticism of the practice wasn't about race.
"The issue of kneeling has nothing to do with race," he tweeted. "It is about respect for our Country, Flag and National Anthem. NFL must respect this!"
Or, crazy idea here, Trump could respect that the practice of kneeling IS a way for citizens of this country to protest the treatment of minorities in this country.
Many people have taken to social media to express their support of the #TakeAKnee movement.
Here are 17 of the best 'take a knee' memes and tweets about the NFL players protest during the national anthem by kneeling before the flag:
1. A tweet about kneeling being bad, when it seems outright racism is okay.
2. A tweet for people getting upset over a nonviolent protest.
3. A guy on Twitter wants to know if Donald Trump doing anything about the victims of Hurricane Maria?
4. This awfulness about Trump's stance on Nazis, but in meme form:
5. A meme that wonders how people of color SHOULD protest...
6. This heartfelt picture of a 97-year-old veteran who supports the #TakeAKnee protest.
7. A friendly reminder for why people choose to peacefully protest.
8. For anyone who's wondering the reason behind the #TakeAKnee movement:
9. This message of support from Martin Luther King's daughter.
10. Poking some serious fun at the people who are boycotting the NFL over this.
11. Trump seriously needs to focus on Puerto Rico.
12. This is TOO real.
13. Talk about disrespecting the flag as it relates to North Korea.
15. Remember who's in Trump's circle now.
16. The real reason why Trump can't take a knee.
17. And this:
Emily Blackwood is an editor at YourTango who covers pop culture, true crime, dating, relationships and everything in between. Every Wednesday at 10:20 p.m. you can ask her any and all questions about self-love, dating, and relationships LIVE on YourTango’s Facebook page. You can follow her on Instagram (@blackw00d) and Twitter (@emztweetz).