A 16-year-old New York teen was charged after being accused of making threats on social media of a 'massive shooting' at his high school

·1 min read
Police car lights
Lights on a police car.Oliver Helbig/Getty Images
  • A 16-year-old was charged after being accused of threatening to shoot up his high school, local news reported.

  • The teen is facing charges including aggravated harassment and making a terroristic threat.

  • Officials allege that the teen made the threat on social media.

A 16-year-old New York teen is facing charges after being accused of threatening "a massive shooting" at his high school, officials said.

The unidentified teen was arrested and charged with aggravated harassment and making a terroristic threat, WABC-TV reported.

Local police said that the alleged threat to shoot up Bellport High School located in Brookhaven, New York, was made on Instagram earlier this week, the outlet reported.

The post prompted people to contact authorities who searched the tenth grader's home, NBC New York reported. No weapons were found.

"We take these threats seriously and will devote our resources to ensuring the safety of our children. I thank Suffolk police for their swift action here," Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond Tierney said in a press release on Friday. "Upon learning of this threat, they worked with my office to locate and interview the individual responsible for the threat."

The teen was arraigned on Friday and a judge ruled that he "is only allowed home and office visits; no social media; and he will have to submit to alcohol and drug testing," according to the press release.

Tierney added that the incident is a "terrible prank gone wrong," WABC-TV reported. The teen's family described him as a "good student" in court, per the news station. His next court date is May 31.

Read the original article on Insider