15-Year-Old Girl Dies After Mistaking Peanut Chips Ahoy! Packaging for Nut-Free

Those with peanut allergies and parents of children with allergies understand how important it is to read all food labels to determine which foods are safe. Yet no matter how closely you monitor what you or your child eats, accidents can happen. This was the case for Kelly Travers-Stafford, who shared on Thursday that her 15-year-old daughter died after eating a Reeses Chips Ahoy! cookie she thought was a regular chocolate chip cookie.

Comparison of almost identical red packaging of Chips Ahoy! original and peanut butter
Comparison of almost identical red packaging of Chips Ahoy! original and peanut butter

Both cookies have the same red packaging, but Travers-Stafford’s daughter couldn’t see where it said Reeses once the label was peeled back. Despite two injections of epinephrine, the reaction was fatal.

Our hearts are broken and we are still in shock. Our whole lives we dedicated to keeping our child safe from one…

Posted by Kellie Travers-Stafford on Thursday, July 12, 2018

On Monday June 25, our 15 year old daughter, Alexi Ryann Stafford, while at a friends house, made a fatal choice. There was an open package of Chips Ahoy cookies, the top flap of the package was pulled back and the packaging was too similar to what we had previously deemed “safe” to her. She ate one cookie of chewy Chips Ahoy thinking it was safe because of the “red” packaging, only to find out too late that there was an added ingredient…. Reese peanut butter cups/chips. She started feeling tingling in her mouth and came straight home. Her condition rapidly deteriorated. She went into Anaphylactic shock, stopped breathing and went unconscious. We administered 2 epi pens while she was conscious and waited on paramedics for what felt like an eternity.

She died within 1& 1/2 hour of eating the cookie…

The company has different colored packaging to indicate chunky, chewy, or regular but NO screaming warnings about such a fatal ingredient to many people. Especially children. It’s important to us to spread awareness so that this horrible mistake doesn’t happen again.

Related:It's OK to Cry Over a Donut When the Ease of Eating Is Gone

Anaphylaxis is a serious allergic reaction that can be life-threatening. It can happen in a matter of seconds or minutes after being exposed to something you are allergic to. During anaphylaxis, your blood pressure drops and airways narrow, making it difficult to breathe. Anaphylaxis requires an injection of epinephrine and a follow-up visit to an emergency room. Without emergency intervention, these allergic reactions can be fatal.

The peanut allergy community rallied around Travers-Stafford, asking Chips Ahoy!’s parent company for better packaging to avoid another fatality.

Related:Southwest Airlines Announces It Will No Longer Serve Peanuts

Related:Got Milk? Adventures With a Dairy Allergy

Chips Ahoy! has not given a public statement regarding the incident but responded to a tweet:

We take allergens very seriously. Chewy Chips Ahoy! made w/ Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups packaging clearly shows that it contains peanuts through words and visuals. Package color indicates Chewy, Chunky, or Original. Consumers should always read the label for allergy information.

The Mighty reached out to Nabisco, Chips Ahoy!’s parent company, and has yet to hear back. 

Read more stories like this on The Mighty:

Kevin James Jokes About His Disdain for Food Allergies in New Netflix Special

There's No Room for Error When it Comes to Food Allergies

7 Ways My Chronic Illnesses Changed My Relationship With Food