A 10-year-old girl was electrocuted to death in her family home on Saturday while attempting to rescue her two kittens, according to KSLA.
First responders were called to a New Boston, Texas, home after Greenlee Marie was shocked while trying to free her beloved pets, which were trapped behind a clothes dryer.
Paramedics rushed the girl to a nearby hospital while performing CPR, but were tragically unable to revive her.
Dallas News reports that relatives had previously complained about electricity issues in the house, which Greenlee's parents, Shelby Roos and Scott Hendrix, had been renting for about 15 months.
Roos told KSLA that her daughter adored her kittens and "would do anything for them."
"I know she is up there right now with all of her babies," Roos told the station.
The grieving mother took to Facebook on Monday to share a touching tribute to her daughter, who she described as having "more compassion for everything living at 10 years old than most will have in a lifetime."
"With the heaviest of hearts I want to tell y'all our Greenlee was tragically taken from us Sat night," she wrote. "She was such a light in this world and everyone she ever met couldn't help but fall in love with her. Please pray for us as we try to find sence (sic) in the senseless."
"Please hug all your babies tight because tomorrow is truly never promised," she added. "And take peace in the fact that she is in heaven getting love from all the animals she loved with her whole heart."
A GoFundMe started on behalf of Greenlee's family states that all donations made in her memory will go towards "helping animals in our community."
- This article was initially published on AOL.com: 10-year-old girl electrocuted to death while trying to rescue kittens stuck behind dryer