Chicago rapper Juice WRLD, 21, died Sunday, the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office confirmed to HuffPost.
A spokeswoman said he was pronounced dead shortly after 3 a.m. at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, Illinois. An autopsy is scheduled for Monday, the spokeswoman said, and the medical examiner’s office will provide updates after it’s completed.
Juice WRLD, whose real name is Jarad Anthony Higgins, suffered a seizure in Chicago Midway International Airport after a flight from California early Sunday morning, TMZ first reported. Higgins died after being rushed to the hospital, according to the outlet.
Perhaps best known for his song “Lucid Dreams” ― a dreary love ballad interpolating Sting’s “Shape of My Heart” ― Juice WRLD was among a burgeoning class of popular rappers whose lyrical content focused heavily on his haunting experiences with mental illness and the self-injurious ways he coped with it. His style, which deployed his gravelly whine over dark-sounding instrumentals, was classified by some as “emo rap.”
Juice WRLD’s debut album, “Goodbye & Good Riddance,” was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America in 2018 and peaked at No. 6 on Billboard’s most popular albums for that year. His list of collaborations spanned genres, as he worked with artists including Future and Panic at the Disco.
An Instagram post on Juice WRLD’s account said the artist was celebrating his birthday last week.
Hayley Miller contributed to this report.
This article has been updated with more details about autopsy plans.
The head of St. Louis' oft-criticized corrections department will resign at the end of the month, the new mayor announced Wednesday. Mayor Tishaura Jones said in a news release that Dale Glass wasn't asked to resign from his position as corrections commissioner, but she made clear that she wasn’t pleased with how he’s run the department, which in recent months has had to deal with two large inmate uprisings and complaints about squalid conditions in the city’s jails. “Failed leadership overseeing the City’s Corrections division has left the City with a huge mess to clean up,” Jones said, citing failing jail locks, lackluster maintenance and subhuman conditions for detainees.
Sarah Rogers/The Daily Beast / Photos GettyAfter a year of virtual shows and trying to figure out the meaning of “phygital” events, New York Fashion Week is back to its pre-pandemic proportions come fall—and then some. IMG, which runs New York Fashion Week: The Shows announced on Wednesday new changes that will impact the event, which is set to run in-person at Spring Studios from September 8 to 12.A lot of money is at stake: as Leslie Russo, president of IMG’s fashion events and properties said at a press conference, NYFW generates around $900 million for the city every year when factoring in the tourism, local jobs, and tax revenue surge it provides. So it makes sense that for IMG—and New York in general—a successful comeback remains crucial.Do Fashion Weeks Have a Future, or Are Designers All on Their Own?In an attempt to woo designers (many of whom have enjoyed the pace of digital events) back to the runway, IMG cooked up two initiatives. First: creating the IMG Fashion Alliance, which will provide eleven American designers with “investment, content, production and talent.” In return, the brands pledge to show at NYFW through 2022.The class of designers are Sergio Hudson, who dressed Kamala Harris for inauguration night, Alexandra O’Neill of Markarian, who outfitted Jill Biden for the same event, plus Telfar Clemens, LaQuan Smith, Prabal Gurung, Jason Wu, Joseph Altuzarra, Monse and Rodarte.IMG also announced a brand new NYFW sponsor: Afterpay, a “pay later” service that enables shoppers to purchase products through four installments. The Australian tech company is only six years old, but it has already sponsored fashion weeks in its home country and London. (It has also been criticized for its late fees and the way it targets young shoppers.)Practically, the pairing makes sense: Afterpay co-founder Nick Molnar said that the company has around 17 million users in the US alone. “This announcement is about looking forward to the future in an incredible way,” Molnar, Australia’s youngest billionaire, gushed in a press conference.Afterpay’s “mission,” Molnar added, is to “bring millions of consumers globally to shop from the best fashion labels and brands in the US.”LaQuan Smith, the 32 year-old designer and New York native known for his sexy, fleshy, party-ready designs (and celebrity clientele like Jennifer Lopez and Kylie Jenner), will take part in a “see now, buy now” fashion show this fall in connection with Afterpay. Anyone watching the runway—in-person or online—can shop it, automatically.After a devastating year, it makes sense that designers need to bounce back however they can. These types of partnerships do promote emerging names, and are the price of doing business these days, even for creatives.But as NYFW becomes more about catering to the “consumer” rather than presenting a preview of future seasons, how is it different than a trade show or convention?The relevance of NYFW has long been debated. When anyone with an Instagram account can immediately see what’s on the runway, rather than waiting months to view it in a magazine spread, has the event been democratized, or cheapened?It is an admittedly elitist perspective. A more urgent dilemma NYFW must face, and has failed to do so in a meaningful way: for all of its talk of sustainable practices, what is more wasteful than a biannual selling spree?“We all want designers like LaQuan Smith to win: we want to support and make sure he gets his coin,” José Criales-Unzueta, a fashion writer and designer. “So that’s good if it helps the brand.”But in terms of “optics,” Criales-Unzueta says, Afterpay’s name under NYFW “does not help” the institution.“There is a popular opinion within fashion circles that NYFW is all about merchandise, all about pushing product out, and is very commercial,” he added. “It doesn’t match up to the same level as London, Paris, or Milan, you don’t have those names like Gucci, Fendi, or Prada who bring up a certain level of buzz. We know fashion people tend to be snobbish in that sense.”Criales-Unzueta wonders if the Afterpay association gives “an added layer of that commercial approach” that could “turn off certain editors, stylists, and influencers who bring clout to the shows.”But post-pandemic, clout is not exactly the currency NYFW and IMG needs—it’s time for the real thing, actual money. And with so many fashion people engaged in transactional relationships with labels where they borrow or request certain clothes, it might be time for those at home to pick up some spending slack. That certainly seems to be the goal.Read more at The Daily Beast.Get our top stories in your inbox every day. Sign up now!Daily Beast Membership: Beast Inside goes deeper on the stories that matter to you. Learn more.
The Justice Department has begun an internal review to determine how to remove any extremists from within federal law enforcement following the arrest of current and former police officers for their involvement in the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, Attorney General Merrick Garland said Wednesday. Garland, in response to a question during a Senate hearing on domestic extremism, described a review that was in its early stages and is complicated by the need to avoid violating the First Amendment rights of Justice Department employees.
A man suspected of shooting three people in New York’s Times Square, including a 4-year-old girl, was arrested Wednesday in Florida, according to a law enforcement official briefed on the matter. Farrakhan Muhammad was taken into custody near Jacksonville, the official said, four days after the shooting Saturday that rattled the Big Apple tourist haven known as the “Crossroads of the World.” Muhammad was listed Wednesday in an inmate database for the Bradford County, Florida sheriff’s office.
At Wednesday's House Oversight Committee hearing addressing the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, Rep. Stephen Lynch (D-Mass.) scolded former acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller for seemingly changing his opinion of former President Donald Trump's culpability in the Capitol insurrection. Rep. Stephen Lynch (D-MA) goes after former acting Defense Sec. Christopher Miller for taking back his written statement saying President Trump “encouraged” protesters on January 6. Miller: “That’s ridiculous”Lynch: “You’re ridiculous.” pic.twitter.com/8drl4UjR5D — The Recount (@therecount) May 12, 2021 On Tuesday, Miller released a written testimony intended for the hearing, writing, "I stand by my prior observation that I personally believe [Trump's] comments encouraged the protestors that day," although he went on to add he is "not in a position to make an official assessment of [Trump's] responsibility" and stands by his decisions as Pentagon chief on Jan. 6. Christopher Miller, the Pentagon chief on January 6, will testify tomorrow that he personally believes Trump "encouraged" the deadly attack. pic.twitter.com/IFmg9VfAhu — Jan Wolfe (@JanNWolfe) May 11, 2021 However, when asked by Lynch if he believed Trump incited the riots, Miller replied, "I think I'd like to modify my original assessment." He said new information led him to believe the assault was far more organized than originally thought — in essence, suggesting that while Trump did "offer" the Capitol to rioters, the president's remarks were not "the unitary factor." Lynch fired back, quoting Miller himself: "Would anybody have marched on the Capitol or tried to overrun the Capitol without the president's speech? I think it's pretty much definitive that would not have happened." As the two continued to bicker, Miller called the accusation he had reversed his comments "ridiculous," to which Lynch replied, "You're ridiculous." More at Politico. More stories from theweek.comThe doom-loop of a falling fertility rateAn anti-vax conspiracy theory is apparently making anti-maskers consider masking up, social distancingThe real reason Liz Cheney lost her job
Tucked deep inside a recent coronavirus relief bill was $3.2 billion to give some Americans a break on their Internet bills. And as of this week, the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program is officially online.