Credit: Jun Sato/WireImage/Getty Images
Karl Lagerfeld just hates everything, huh? The 78-year-old Chanel honcho lashed out at Newsweek at press conference in Japan today, calling the Tina Brown weekly a "s****y little paper."
According to New York Magazine, when asked what he thinks of Pulitzer prize winning journalist Robin Givhan's recent Newsweek story that called him "overrated," Lagerfeld said, "First of all, Tina Brown's magazine is not doing well at all. She is dying. I'm sorry for Tina Brown, who was such a success at Vanity Fair, to go down with a s****y little paper like this. I'm sorry."
Aw, what's the mwatter, Karl? Can't take a little criticism? You're certainly good at dishing it out:
1. 'Too fat' Adele. Last month, he told the Metro Paris newspaper that music industry darling Adele is "a little too fat." Madonna stood up for the Grammy winner, telling The Sun, "That's ridiculous, that's just the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard." Adele handled the jab with grace, telling People, "I represent the majority of women and I'm very proud of that." Lagerfeld, to his credit, quickly apologized, telling Metro Paris, "I'd like to say to Adele, I am your biggest admirer. Sometimes when you take a sentence out of the article it changes the meaning of the thought."
2. 'Fat mummies.' Adele, take heart in the fact that it's not about you. In 2009, Lagerfeld told Focus magazine that curvy models don't belong on runways, and the only people who like them are "fat" moms. " "Fat mummies sit there in front of the television with their chip packets and say skinny models are ugly," he said. He added that high end fashion is about "dreams and illusions, and no one wants to see round women."
3. Ugly children. But it's not just fat people! When he talked with former French Vogue editor Carine Rotfield for Interview magazine, Lagerfeld attempted to compliment her children. "Yes, no one can say that you don't take care of them. You're also lucky because they are very beautiful. It would have been difficult to have an ugly daughter." Fail.
4. Pretty much all food. According to Jezebel, in 2008, Lagerfeld told Prestige magazine that he basically hates anything edible: "I hate the smell of cooking. Some people love it, but I don't care for it. I don't eat sweet things. I don't eat greasy things. And I like fish better than meat. In fact, I hate meat. My doctor calls me to eat meat twice a week, as apparently we are cannibals. There used to be a Nobu here in Paris but it was very bad; it was horrible."
5. Animals. In 2009, Lagerfeld defended using fur in Chanel's collections, telling the BBC that hunters are simply "killing those beasts who would kill us if they could." (He did note that animals should be killed "nicely," if possible.) PETA had a field day with that one, saying in a statement, "When was the last time a person's life was threatened by a mink or rabbit?"