Health care worker and mother of 2 loses home in fire, now her colleagues are stepping in

NICOLE PELLETIERE
·3 min read

A health care worker who lost everything in a fire is now thanking her hospital colleagues for helping her family during these hard times.

Amanda Rhoney, a nursing assistant and secretary in Wesley Long Hospital's emergency department in Greensboro, North Carolina, was working the evening of Jan. 24 when her 10-year-old daughter Gentry called her with devastating news.

"All I could hear on the other line was her screaming that the house was on fire," Rhoney told "Good Morning America." "She kept saying, 'He's trapped in there.' ... She was talking about one of the dogs that my husband was trying to get out. My mind went to the worst possible place thinking that my husband was trapped."

PHOTO: Amanda Rhoney's coworkers are stepping in after losing her North Carolina home in a house fire. Rhoney is a mom of two and a nursing assistant  in Wesley Long Hospital's emergency department in Greensboro. (Amanda Rhoney)
PHOTO: Amanda Rhoney's coworkers are stepping in after losing her North Carolina home in a house fire. Rhoney is a mom of two and a nursing assistant in Wesley Long Hospital's emergency department in Greensboro. (Amanda Rhoney)

Rhoney said her husband Michael, a military veteran, was making dinner on the grill for himself, Gentry and son Mychal, 6, when the propane tank apparently caught fire, engulfing their home in flames.

No one was injured in the fire, though one of the family's two dogs did lose consciousness from smoke inhalation. The husky recovered after Thomasville Fire and Rescue administered oxygen to the pup, Rhoney said.

PHOTO: Amanda Rhoney, a nursing assistant in Wesley Long Hospital's emergency department in North Carolina, was working the evening of Jan. 24 when her 10-year-old daughter Gentry called her with devastating news that their house was on fire. (Amanda Rhoney)
PHOTO: Amanda Rhoney, a nursing assistant in Wesley Long Hospital's emergency department in North Carolina, was working the evening of Jan. 24 when her 10-year-old daughter Gentry called her with devastating news that their house was on fire. (Amanda Rhoney)

"This lucky pup will live to see another day thanks to the quick work of our firefighters during a structure fire tonight," the fire department wrote in a Facebook post about Rhoney's dog.

Rhoney said everything was lost in the blaze including household items, school supplies and clothing. She and her family are now staying at a hotel.

Rhoney posted an update for her concerned colleagues in a private Facebook group and Joy Ingram, an emergency medical technician, stepped in.

PHOTO: Amanda Rhoney, a nursing assistant in Wesley Long Hospital's emergency department in North Carolina, was working Jan. 24 when she got word that her house was on fire. (Amanda Rhoney)
PHOTO: Amanda Rhoney, a nursing assistant in Wesley Long Hospital's emergency department in North Carolina, was working Jan. 24 when she got word that her house was on fire. (Amanda Rhoney)

Ingram, who's worked with Rhoney for roughly a decade, told "GMA" that she was on the same shift with Rhoney when the call came in about the house fire.

MORE: Ricki Lake opens up about 'dark times' and healing after her husband’s suicide: 'I now truly love myself the way he loved me'

PHOTO: Amanda Rhoney, a nursing assistant at Wesley Long Hospital's in Greensboro, North Carolina, learned Jan. 24 that her house was on fire. Pictured here is Rhoney, her husband Michael Rhoney and their children, Gentry, 10 and Mychal, 6. (Amanda Rhoney)
PHOTO: Amanda Rhoney, a nursing assistant at Wesley Long Hospital's in Greensboro, North Carolina, learned Jan. 24 that her house was on fire. Pictured here is Rhoney, her husband Michael Rhoney and their children, Gentry, 10 and Mychal, 6. (Amanda Rhoney)

"In the middle of a pandemic this girl has been working so hard and she actually had COVID and recovered from that. ... Then [to] have her house completely destroyed, my heart went out," Ingram said. "Everybody's hearts went out."

Ingram started collecting donations via GoFundMe, and also asked for people to drop clothing or household items at the hospital's emergency department.

"They're starting from scratch," Ingram said. "Amanda will give you the shirt off of her back. She will do anything for you within her means and if she can't do it, she will find someone that can. She herself has a giving heart and as a coworker she's just phenomenal."

PHOTO: Amanda Rhoney, a nursing assistant and secretary in Wesley Long Hospital's emergency department in Greensboro, North Carolina, was working the evening of Jan. 24, 2021 when she learned her home caught fire. (Amanda Rhoney)
PHOTO: Amanda Rhoney, a nursing assistant and secretary in Wesley Long Hospital's emergency department in Greensboro, North Carolina, was working the evening of Jan. 24, 2021 when she learned her home caught fire. (Amanda Rhoney)

Rhoney said the generosity from her hospital family and the community has been positively overwhelming.

PHOTO: Amanda Rhoney is a nursing assistant and secretary in Wesley Long Hospital's emergency department in Greensboro, North Carolina. Pictured here are Rhoney's children, Gentry, 10 and Mychal, 6. (Amanda Rhoney)
PHOTO: Amanda Rhoney is a nursing assistant and secretary in Wesley Long Hospital's emergency department in Greensboro, North Carolina. Pictured here are Rhoney's children, Gentry, 10 and Mychal, 6. (Amanda Rhoney)

"It's definitely made it a whole lot easier to process," she added. "Just a huge thank you to everyone who donated and who called to check on us."

The Rhoneys also expect to receive help from Off-Road Outreach -- an organization created to assist displaced veterans like Michael Rhoney and his family.

Health care worker and mother of 2 loses home in fire, now her colleagues are stepping in originally appeared on goodmorningamerica.com