Summer is winding down and thoughts are turning to getting organized for the fall.
Jenni Radosevich from the website ISpyDIY.com appeared on “Good Morning America” on Tuesday, taking questions from viewers who wanted advice on maximizing their spaces and revealing design options for a corner office and corner closet.
She also offered design tips that included embracing a vertical display, honeycomb wall shelving and painting with a bright accent color.
Instructions for the honeycomb wall shelving are below, followed by extra tips for a clever shoe storage solution.
1. Cut 6 pieces of wood to your desired length and width, all pieces should be the same dimensions.
2. Cut the angles using a miter saw. Set the saw to 30 degrees and cut the ends of the board at an angle.
3. Sand down any rough edges.
4. Glue the pieces together using wood glue on the angled edges to create your hexagon shape.
5. Carefully drill a hole where each of the pieces attach using a drill and a smaller drill bit than your wood screws.
6. Install wood screws into the hole.
7. Add a fresh coat of paint and mount on the wall using brackets, screws, and your drill.
Web Extra: DIY Moulding Shoe Rack
This super-small space solution is a great way to stay organized.
If you have a lot of shoes lying around with nowhere to store them, it’s always best to go vertical when you don’t have a lot of square footage or a closet to work with, according to Radosevich.
Utilize your wall space by making a DIY Moulding Shoe Rack.
Saw (or you can have your hardware store cut the wood)
Paint (glossy finish if you prefer)
First cut the moulding to how long you want the rack to be depending on your wall space. You can use a saw or give the measurements to your hardware store.
Then, nail it to the wall and paint it. You can give it a nice glossy finish so it shines off a plain white wall.
Then you have a DIY Moulding Shoe Rack which is great for showing off your heels and keeping them off the floor.