Thanksgiving is just around the corner but there is still plenty of time to plan a decadent day of thanks that your family will love but that won't leave you so exhausted you need another vacation to recover. You also don't have to spend a fortune in order to achieve a glamorous look.
Darcy Miller, editorial director for Martha Stewart Weddings, and a mother of three herself, appeared on "Good Morning America" today with easy ways to transform an everyday dinner table into an elegant, show-stopping Thanksgiving table that promises to maximize the bang you'll get for your holiday-planning buck.
Miller also offered two exclusive deals only for 'GMA' viewers. Read below for Miller's tips, special deals and sources so you can create the looks at home.
Darcy Miller's Thanksgiving Tips:
- Create placemats on your computer at home that your kids can color. Click HERE and HERE to download template placemats.
- Set and decorate your table early so you don’t have to worry about it on Thanksgiving Day while you are cooking.
- Instead of using expensive flowers, pick out branches from your yard or purchase them from a farmers’ market.
- Use acrylic paints to decorate gourds to accent your Thanksgiving table.
- Plan easy and fun activities to keep your kids busy at the table and to involve them in the preparation.
- Create a Thanksgiving menu for your guests. Click HERE to download a template menu.
‘GMA’ Exclusive Thanksgiving Decorating Deals:
Original: $11.50 – $15
‘GMA’ Exclusive Deal: 50% off all pillar candles
Valid: 11/16/2012 - 12 p.m., EDT, 11/17/2012
The Colonial Candle brand has provided candle-lovers with top-quality candles for over 100 years. The company was started by Mabel Kimball Baker in her Cape Cod, Mass., home kitchen in 1909. The deal also includes free ground shipping on all orders over $75.
Martha Stewart Crafts™ at Michaels
‘GMA’ Exclusive Deal: 50% off Martha Stewart Crafts™ Punches and Martha Stewart Crafts™ Paint Accessories
Valid: 11/16/12 – 11/24/12
Martha Stewart Crafts™ at Michaels’ craft stores offers a diverse line of crafting essentials including tools, paint, yarn, paper crafts and party supplies all influenced by Martha Stewart. The “GMA” discount is valid on any one regular price item at Michaels.
How to Create the Looks at Home:
Adult Table Décor
- Cylinders from Save-on-Crafts.com, $4.99 and up.
- Gold paper for cylinders, napkin rings and votive wraps from Paper Source.
- Martha Stewart Crafts Deep Edge Punch – Daisy Fan, Michaels, $20.
- Pillar candles from Colonial Candle, $11-$13 per candle.
- Gold painted pumpkins painted with Martha Stewart Craft Paint, $2.49 per container.
- Chocolate turkeys, Godiva.com, $6.50 per turkey.
- Chocolate pumpkin truffles from Godiva.com, $13 per pack of five pumpkin truffles.
- Birch rounds from Save-on-Crafts.com, $8 and up.
- Paper Leaves on Branches from Etsy, $10 for 30 multi-colored leaves.
- Glue dots from Save-on-Crafts.com, $3.29 and up.
- Semikolon Classic Bound Book (to scrapbook your leaves after Thanksgiving) from Amazon.com, $17.
- Mikasa Antique White Dinner and Salad Plates from Mikasa, $15 per dinner plate, $6 per salad plate.
- Dirilyte flatware (Vintage)
- CB2 stemless glasses from CB2.com, $2.50 per glass.
- Martha Stewart Collection Serveware, Park Leaves Gold Collection, from Macys, $22 per bowl.
- Martha Stewart Collection Figural Pumpkin Salt and Pepper Shakers from Macys, $13.00 each.
Thanksgiving Kids’ Table
- Amscan Turkey Centerpiece Decorating Kit from Party City, $5.25.
- Amscan orange paper napkins from Party City, $5.49 for 120 napkins.
- Amscan Gold paper drinking cups from Party City, $2.99 for 20 cups.
- Martha Stewart Crafts’ glittered leaf stickers from Michaels, $4.99 per pack.
- Turkey-shaped place cards from Paper Source, 20 for $8 place cards.
- Orange paper table runner from Paper Source.
- Martha Stewart Crafts Deep Edge Punch – Daisy Fan from Michaels, $20.
- Battery flickering candle votives from Save-on-Crafts.com, $4.99 for six candles.
- Gold paper votive candlewraps from Paper Source.
- Melissa and Doug coloring crayons from MelissaandDoug.com, $5.99 for a 24-pack.
- Gold paper candy cups from New York Cake and Bake, $5.49 for 12 cups.
- Wood plates and flatware from Bambu.com, $13 for eight utensil sets.
- Ikea wood table with chairs from Ikea.com, $19.99.
Click HERE for more Thanksgiving ideas from Darcy Miller.