The best way to cut a mango? Cat Cora says turn it into a star originally appeared on goodmorningamerica.com
Mangoes are delicious to eat, but why are they so difficult to cut?
The flat seed sitting at the center of the fruit is the reason for many kitchen mishaps.
However, celebrity chef Cat Cora just might have a simple hack to prevent any kitchen accidents: mango stars.
Cora invited "Good Morning America" to Ousia, a restaurant in New York City, to teach viewers how to cut mango stars, something that can easily transform mangoes into a quick breakfast or dessert for the family.
1. First, take the mango and cut along the seed vertically. Then, turn the mango over and repeat this step on the other side.
2. While keeping the mango on the cutting board, take your knife and cut away the extra mango meat on the seed. Whatever is left can be enjoyed by eating straight from the mango seed.
3. Now for the star part: Take your knife and slice vertically along the mango. Try not to cut too deep into the mango. You want the mango to still be attached to the skin.
4. Turn the mango pieces the other way and do the same: Cut vertically along the mango and avoid cutting into the skin.
5. Once you’re done slicing, you should now see squares on the mangoes. Take your fingers and push from the bottom of the mango so that the squares pop up.
6. Enjoy your mango stars without a huge mess to clean up after!