Florida rapper and singer YNW Melly garnered himself a viral hit earlier this year with "Murder On My Mind," and now that success has helped his music reach the ears of Kanye West. In a post just shared to his Instagram account, the rising musician indicated that he's hit the studio with Yeezy.
The teaser comes just as Melly has shared his new documentary, MELLY, offering a closer look at the 19-year-old rapper. "It was unbelievable to bring a camera crew to my hood and show them how I lived and grew up. Feel like this is going to be a big eye opener and I thank the director and crew for allowing me to show them my journey so far," says Melly of the documentary.
The documentary sees Melly getting deeply personal, introducing his listeners to who his mother, who raised him when she was still a teenager herself. MELLY helps showcase why his music sounds the way it does, with his surroundings in Gifford inspiring him to do something better.
Earlier this year, Melly lost his close friends YNW Juvy and YNW Sakchaser, and from his music it's clear it's had a huge effect on him personally. From stories of his uncle doing crack and stumbling across a gun when he was still a kid, MELLY is a harrowing look at his surroundings.
Watch MELLY in full above.
More from Complex
- ASAP Rocky and Lana Del Rey to Headline 2019 BUKU Music + Art Project
- Ski Mask the Slump God Is Possessed in New "LA LA" Video
- Premiere: ZieZie Takes Control And Becomes A "Sensei" In New Visuals
- Premiere: Smokepurpp Provides Trippy Visual for "Sauce Like This"
- Celebrity Stylist Ugo Mozie Is Bringing Visibility to Africa’s Young Talent