WASHINGTON — The White House has confirmed that it has suspended access to the White House by CNN’s Jim Acosta, its chief White House correspondent, after a confrontational exchange with President Trump at a press conference earlier on Wednesday.
Acosta posted on Twitter that he had been denied entrance to the White House grounds and could not do an 8 p.m. hit.
I’ve just been denied entrance to the WH. Secret Service just informed me I cannot enter the WH grounds for my 8pm hit— Jim Acosta (@Acosta) November 8, 2018
White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said they have suspended Acosta’s hard pass “until further notice.”
In a statement, she said “President Trump believes in a free press and expects and welcomes tough questions of him and his Administration. We will, however, never tolerate a reporter placing his hands on a young woman just trying to do her job as a White House intern. This conduct is absolutely unacceptable.”
She added, “It is also completely disrespectful to the reporter’s colleagues not to allow them an opportunity to ask a question. President Trump has given the press more access than any President in history. Contrary to CNN’s assertions, there is no greater demonstration of the President’s support for a free press than the event he held today.”
Acosta responded to Sanders’ claim by writing, “This is a lie.”
Subscribe to Variety Newsletters and Email Alerts!