The 72nd annual Emmy Awards nominations will be announced live Tuesday at 8:30 a.m. PT/11:30 a.m. ET in a virtual event hosted by Leslie Jones. The noms will be revealed by presenters Laverne Cox, Josh Gad and Tatiana Maslany along with Television Academy chairman and CEO Frank Scherma.
The ceremony will stream live on Emmys.com, the TV Academy’s Facebook page as well as on Deadline. Watch it here:
More from Deadline
- 'Normal People's Paul Mescal & Director Lenny Abrahamson Address Daisy Edgar-Jones Emmy Snub; 'Conversations With Friends' Progress
- Quibi Pulls Out 10 Emmy Nominations In Much-Needed Bright Spot For Startup
- Robin Thede Lauds 'A Black Lady Sketch Show's Dime Davis As She Becomes First Black Woman To Score Emmy Nod For Directing Variety Series
After the noms, the members of the TV Academy will begin final-round voting beginning August 21 and running through August 31.
This year’s races are shaping up to be interesting, with Drama Series among the most competitive categories after the exit of defending champ Game of Thrones (see our Emmy smackdown to discuss the race here). The Comedy Series race is in the same boat, with Fleabag and Veep also out the race this year (see our Emmy smackdown to discuss that race here. Both categories have been expanded to eight nominee slots.
There’s also intriguing races to watch in the Limited Series and Best Movie Made for Television categories, where big-screen stars from Cate Blanchett to Chris Evans to Hugh Jackman are among the frontrunners.
Overall, this year’s most unusual TV season (thanks to the coronavirus pandemic) sees a record 767 different programs in the running for Emmys in more than 100 categories. Overall submissions for 2020 have increased by 15% over the previous competition year, according to the TV Academy.
Winners of this year’s Emmy Awards will be unveiled September 20 live an ABC in a ceremony hosted by Jimmy Kimmel. It’s uncertain just what form such an awards show would take with COVID-19 still a major factor; Kimmel, who has had experience piloting his ABC late-night show virtually, is also executive producing the show with Reginald Hudlin.
Stay tuned throughout the day for Deadline’s complete coverage of the nominations, analysis and reactions.
Best of Deadline
- U.S. Coronavirus Update: New Cases Break Record 70,000 For The First Time; Infections Up 40% Since Early July
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto