The alleged shooter is the ex-boyfriend of victim Rebecca Jean Rogers
The alleged shooter is the ex-boyfriend of victim Rebecca Jean Rogers
Shannon Keeler was enjoying a weekend getaway with her boyfriend last year when she checked her Facebook messages for the first time in ages. The messages rocketed Keeler back to the life-shattering night in December 2013 when an upperclassman at Gettysburg College stalked her at a party, snuck into her dorm and barged into her room while she pleaded with him and texted friends for help. Eight years later, she still hopes to persuade authorities in Pennsylvania to make an arrest, armed now with perhaps her strongest piece of evidence: his alleged confession, sent via social media.
After shooting a mountain lion, Patrick Montgomery told a park officer, who ran background check and saw that he is a convicted felon.
Federal authorities say a man on trial in Fargo, North Dakota, slashed his own throat in the courtroom Monday and died. Carlson said the man had a sharp instrument that might have been made of plastic. Carlson said the jury had left the courtroom, but U.S. District Judge Peter Welte, courtroom staff and others witnessed the incident.
A man killed himself inside a federal courtroom in Fargo after a jury reached a verdict, officials say.
In Claymont, Delaware, single father Wayne Cappelli, 43, was known for his kindness and his efforts to make a better life for himself and his daughter, Tara. In early 2013, he had a job in a market stocking shelves. He’d typically walk to and from the store from a friend’s house, where he and Tara, 10, had found a place to live. He was making money and progress in his life. Things were looking up and moving in the right direction for Cappelli, a friend told “Mastermind of Murder,” airing Sundays at 7/6c on Oxygen. But on February 16, 2013, a passerby walking his dog around 8 a.m. stumbled upon a man’s body lying about 15 feet off the road by a tree. In his 911 call, he said the victim was in “the fetal position.” Investigators descended upon the area. The victim, whose wallet and driver’s license were still on him, was identified as Cappelli. There was blood on his head, according to New Castle County Police Department Detective Tom Orzechowski, who worked the case. Wayne Cappelli Police considered the possibility that Cappelli had been the victim of a hit and run, but that line of investigation was quickly abandoned. Blood spatter on a utility pole and around the scene suggested that Cappelli had actually been attacked. Meanwhile, the lack of defensive wounds led officials to believe that he had been struck from behind. But why? There was cash in his wallet so it wasn’t a robbery. Authorities canvassed the area. A short distance away they found a cracked aluminum softball bat with blood on it. Investigators believed it to be the murder weapon. The cause of death was determined to be blunt force trauma, 6abc.com reported at the time of the murder. For investigators, that helped shed light on the case. Striking someone with a baseball bat is a lot more personal than shooting them afar, Danielle Brennan, DE Deputy Attorney General, told producers. Investigators also learned that Arlene Hearne, who owned the house where Cappelli lived, had called 911 two days before his body was discovered. She’d phoned because he never came home from work. Investigators searched for clues at Cappelli’s home, where they found that he had taken out a life insurance policy just months earlier. The value of the policy shocked them: $360,000. It was a huge sum for someone just getting on his feet. Also shocking was the fact that the beneficiary wasn’t his daughter, Tara, but Paul Disabatino, a friend he’d met through another friend, David Hess, who also lived in Hearne’s house. Cappelli and the men shared an interest in Strat-O-Matic sports simulation games, according to “Mastermind of Murder.” Disabatino acted like he was stunned to learn he was the life insurance beneficiary. He also had an alibi. He was in Pittsburgh at a Strat-O-Matic tournament the whole weekend with Michael Kman, who was also deep into the game. Ryan Shover, Michael Kman and Paul Disabatino When authorities reviewed surveillance footage from the hotel where the tournament was held, Disabatino and Kman showed up periodically. But authorities told producers that because they appeared so often and always made sure to make eye contact with the camera, it raised red flags. Hess had his own alibi. He’d been eating at a fast-food restaurant during the window of time that Cappelli was killed. His story checked out via security video. Investigations got more traction thanks to security footage at the store where Cappelli worked. Video showed that he left work alone and that there was no one following him. But outside the store in the parking lot, a green car was caught on camera circling slowly, almost sharklike. The suspicious car also showed up in security footage near the crime scene. Although the license plate wasn’t visible, a large sticker in a back window could help identify the car. The search was on for the vehicle. Orzechowski then subpoenaed documents and phone recordings linked to the creation of Cappelli’s life insurance policy, which couldn’t pay out while the investigation was underway. Phone recordings revealed that a third party who identified himself as Cappelli’s cousin Tony was also on the call. He could be heard guiding Cappelli and helping him change the beneficiary from Tara to Disabatino. Who was this co-called cousin Tony? Investigators recognized the voice as Kman, according to “Mastermind of Murder.” But Kman had an alibi that showed he was nowhere near the crime scene. Detectives considered the possibility of a hit for hire, but without enough direct evidence the case stalled. Weeks and eventually months went by. In 2014, a year after the murder, the case picked up steam again. Kevin Shannon, a now-retired FBI agent, had been contacted by Disabatino, who told him that Kman had come up with a scheme to kill Cappelli and get his life insurance. Disabatino, like Hess, owed Kman money and, as such, were under his thumb. Shannon told producers that Kman had a knack for preying upon people’s vulnerabilities and used fear tactics to keep them under control. The murder plot involved moving Hess into the same house where Cappelli lived and hiring a hitman, so Hess could be familiar with the route that Cappelli walked to get to work and back home. But who was the actual killer? Disabatino and Hess didn’t know his name, just that he was called “Nazi.” After Shannon teamed up with Orzechowski, phone records led investigators to Ryan Shover, who worked as a landscaper for Kman. The green car seen in the video was registered to Shover’s girlfriend, reported the York Daily Record in 2016. Shover was arrested for murder, while Disabatino and Hess were busted for their roles in the hit for hire. They made a deal and agreed to testify for the prosecution. Kman, who was arrested for first-degree murder, which carries a mandatory life sentence, eventually agreed to testify against Shover in exchange for a lesser charge. Following a 15-day trial, Shover was found guilty. In April 2018, more than five years after the murder, he was sentenced to two life terms. Kman was sentenced to 30 years, Disabatino to 10 years, and Hess to five years in prison. Cappelli’s daughter, Tara, received the life insurance policy from his murder. To learn more about the case, watch “Mastermind of Murder,” Sundays at 7/6c on Oxygen, or stream episodes here.
"I think the public thought it'd be easy to catch a tiger. But it wasn't. At all," Houston Police Cmdr. Ron Borza said.
About two hours before a 4-year-old boy was found dead on a Dallas street, a man lifted the sleeping boy from his bed and carried him away, court documents say, citing home surveillance video. The boy, whom authorities identified Monday as Cash Gernon, was being taken care of by the girlfriend of Cash's father, police said. The girlfriend, who said Cash's father had been absent since March, identified the person who took Cash from his bed at 5 a.m. Saturday as 18-year-old Darriynn Brown, police said.
The victim was shot in the shoulder and taken to the hospital, officials said. The suspect got away in a black sedan.
Richard “Rick” Jackson surrendered his law license after Stanley Mozee and Dennis Allen served 15 years in prison. A former prosecutor in Dallas County has been disbarred after the State Bar of Texas concluded he had withheld evidence that could have cleared two Black men tried for murder in 2000. Richard E. “Rick” Jackson surrendered his law license last month after an investigation found that he did not inform the attorneys for Dennis Allen, now 57, and Stanley Mozee, now 62, about witness accounts and other key evidence.
The San José Police Department arrested a 20-year-old man for following an Asian woman to her apartment building, where he later physically and sexually assaulted her. What happened: Authorities responded to a call of sexual assault on the 300 block of South First Street at around 2:45 a.m. on May 8, the SJPD reported. Investigators discovered the victim was followed by a man, later identified as Cristobal Fuentes-Melara, to her apartment.
A “freak accident” on camera nearly killed a former Kentucky State Police trooper who now runs a viral YouTube page with 1.83 million subscribers.
A South Carolina school bus driver who kept his cool during an armed hijacking hailed all 18 children the real heroes of the high-pressure encounter. Kenneth Corbin spoke exclusively to "Good Morning America" Monday about how he was able to hold off the gunman and what the students said to the man that helped keep them safe for six minutes. "The kids were the ones that actually got the gentleman off of the bus and they pretty much had my back as much as my concerns were with them," Corbin explained.
REUTERSLawyers for Rudy Giuliani slammed prosecutors on Monday for secretly obtaining electronic access to the former New York City mayor’s accounts—likening the operation that resulted in the April 28 FBI raid of his home and office to that of a drug cartel takedown.“Unfortunately for Giuliani, and even more unfortunately for the attorney-client privilege and executive deliberation privilege, and the public’s perception that those privileges are real, the SDNY simply chose to treat a distinguished lawyer as if he was the head of a drug cartel or a terrorist, in order to create maximum prejudicial coverage of both Giuliani, and his most well-known client—the former President of the United States,” the letter filed Monday on behalf of Giuliani states.The letter is the first legal response from Giuliani’s team since the April 28 raid on Donald Trump’s former attorney’s Manhattan home and office. Federal prosecutors have asked the U.S. Southern District of New York to appoint a special master to review the evidence seized during the raid to ensure material that falls under attorney-client privilege isn’t released.Giuliani’s lawyers, however, claimed Monday that the government’s push for a special master amounts to a “do over” after prosecutors failed to seek one in what they say was a similar search during the Trump administration.When prosecutors seized contents of Giuliani’s iCloud account with an undisclosed 2019 search warrant, his attorneys claim that they assembled their own “secret taint team” to determine whether the information in the former New York City mayor’s iCloud account benefited from attorney-client privilege rather than asking a judge to appoint an independent special master to make those determinations.Trump Has Blown Off Rudy Giuliani’s Pleas for Help as Feds CircleThey further allege that “the fruits of that 2019 search were certainly used in some part to secure the 2021 largely duplicative search warrant.” As a result, Giuliani’s attorneys have asked a federal judge to halt the appointment of a special master in the 2021 warrant to provide more time for them to review the circumstances and evidence supporting the 2019 search.Giuliani’s team also complained about the government’s non-disclosure order issued alongside its fall 2019 iCloud warrant, in which prosecutors claimed that the existence of the warrant must remain secret because of the risk that Giuliani “might destroy evidence or intimidate witnesses.” His lawyers called the allegation “false” and “extremely damaging to Giuliani’s reputation” and demanded that the government reveal the evidence it used to back up the assertion.Giuliani’s attorneys claim that prosecutors intentionally waited until the Biden administration took office and “senior members of the Justice Department had been removed and replaced by Biden appointees” to carry out the raid on their client’s apartment. As evidence, they claim that prosecutors applied for a warrant to search Giuliani’s devices twice before, once in November 2020 and again in January 2021, and were denied.As previously reported by The Daily Beast, Giuliani’s attempts to get out of legal trouble have prompted the former mayor to unsuccessfully seek help from his former allies—including Trump. The former president, however, has been unwilling to help his embattled friend as the feds ramp up their probe into whether Giuliani’s work with Ukrainian officials during the last administration was illegal.A separate letter was filed Monday on behalf of Victoria Toensing, a former top DOJ official and Giuliani associate who was also the subject of a search warrant on April 28. The letter, filed by her legal team, asks the government to return the materials seized during the raid at her D.C. home and asks that she be permitted “to effectively assert her client’s privilege protections and otherwise comply with her ethical obligations to inform them that the Government is in possession of potentially privileged and confidential materials.”“To do so, Ms. Toensing should be afforded the same opportunity to review and assert the privilege that she and her clients would have had if this information were pursued through a subpoena as it normally would have been under similar circumstances,” the letter states, adding that prosecutors should disclose what information is under review so that Toensing may protect her clients.Trump-Supporting Lawyers diGenova and Toensing Teamed Up With Giuliani to Dig Up Ukraine Dirt on Biden: ReportThe letter also mentions a December 2019 Google search warrant that was looking for information about Toensing’s client. Toensing’s lawyer said that while that search warrant was limited in scope, prior to Giuliani’s iCloud search warrant that “contained no such limitation even though it too contained privileged and confidential information concerning the same pending DOJ matter.”“Moreover, neither warrant excluded such information from Google or iCloud production obligations, nor would either third party be equipt to do so if it did,” the letter mentions, adding that both warrants could leak information about an unrelated criminal matter.Toensing’s lawyers also slammed the government’s request for a special master for the raid, adding that the information obtained in April is “virtually identical to those previously seized.” The lawyer now wants the data previously obtained to be returned and information on what prosecutors know.Read more at The Daily Beast.Get our top stories in your inbox every day. Sign up now!Daily Beast Membership: Beast Inside goes deeper on the stories that matter to you. Learn more.
An Arkansas man who authorities say fatally shot an 87-year-old neighbor was trying to lure residents of his apartment complex outside before someone shot and killed him, according to witnesses. “He was yelling and screaming: ‘You guys get out here, come out here, everyone get out of this building right now,’" Janey Peugh, who lives at the complex, told KFSM television station. Police in Fort Smith, Arkansas, located on the border with Oklahoma, say that after Zachary Arnold, 26, fatally shot Lois Hicks on Saturday morning, he continued to shoot at neighboring apartments with a semi-automatic rifle.
A contraband officer noticed some candy wrappers looked tampered with.
The hikers were found about 24 hours after they started their hike.
The wife of Belgium's ambassador to South Korea is seen slapping a shop worker in CCTV footage.
Microsoft’s board of directors moved to remove Bill Gates from its board in 2020 as it investigated the billionaire’s prior romantic relationship with an employee at the tech company, according to a new report in the Wall Street Journal. Gates, however, stepped down on his own accord before the board was able to follow through with its plan, WSJ wrote.According to the Journal, members of the Microsoft board launched an investigation in 2019 after receiving a letter from an employee saying Gates sought to “initiate an intimate relationship” with her 19 years prior. Some members were concerned about the relationship in the wake of the #MeToo movement and felt it would not be appropriate for Gates to continue in a leadership role at Microsoft at a time when workplace harassment and misconduct were coming under unprecedented public scrutiny.Gates resigned from the company in March 2020, before the investigation was completed. “There was an affair almost 20 years ago which ended amicably,” a Gates spokesperson told WSJ. “[His] decision to transition off the board was in no way related to this matter. In fact, he had expressed an interest in spending more time on his philanthropy starting several years earlier.”The New York Times also reported on Sunday that Gates had “pursued” several women over the past 27 years, including one Microsoft employee who said Gates asked her to dinner in 2006 in an email in which he also wrote, “If this makes you uncomfortable, pretend it never happened.” Years later, another woman who worked for the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation said she was also asked out by Gates. Bill Gates and Melinda French Gates announced their divorce on May 3, agreeing to divide their $130 billion fortune while continuing to work together as co-chairs of their philanthropic foundation. The Times and WSJ reported the divorce was set in motion in October 2019, shortly after reports surfaced of Gates’ ties to Jeffrey Epstein, who was accused of underage sex trafficking and soliciting prostitution from a minor. It is unclear exactly how much French Gates knew about Gates’ connection to Epstein, and Gates’ representatives have vehemently denied that Epstein’s ties played a factor. “Your characterization of his meetings with Epstein and others about philanthropy is inaccurate, including who participated,” a spokesperson for Gates wrote to the Times. “Similarly, any claim that Gates spoke of his marriage or Melinda in a disparaging manner is false. The claim of mistreatment of employees is also false. The rumors and speculation surrounding Gates’s divorce are becoming increasingly absurd, and it’s unfortunate that people who have little to no knowledge of the situation are being characterized as ‘sources.'” Read original story Microsoft Board Pushed Out Bill Gates Over Affair With Staffer (Report) At TheWrap
A Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) graduate student wanted in the fatal shooting of Kevin Jiang was arrested in Montgomery, Alabama on Friday. The shooting: Jiang, a Yale University graduate student and a U.S. Army veteran, was shot to death at the corner of Lawrence and Nicoll Streets in New Haven, Connecticut on Feb. 6.
Police say the family was walking back to their car when the 23-year-old man attacked a wife and mother. Now, it's sparking a big concern.