The first presidential debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden was best summed up by CNN’s Jake Tapper, who called it “a hot mess… inside a dumpster fire… inside a train wreck.” Will the one and only vice presidential debate prove to be a more dignified affair?
All eyes will be on Democratic nominee Kamala Harris as she goes up against incumbent VP Mike Pence — from behind plexiglass, and from an acceptance social distance. Spectators will also look to see if debate moderator Susan Page, USA Today‘s Washington Bureau Chief, outperforms Fox News’ Chris Wallace; TVLine readers gave Wallace’s turn as moderator an average grade of “D-.”
The 90-minute, commercial-free debate is being held at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. It is set to air on every major network — including ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and PBS — and to begin at 9 pm ET.
The VP debate comes less than one week after President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania tested positive for coronavirus. While multiple administration officials — including Trump campaign manager Bill Stepien, Trump’s personal assistant Nick Luna and White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany — have also caught COVID, both Pence and Second Lady Karen have tested negative.
Harris and Pence’s showdown is supposed to be followed by two more presidential debates — on Thursday, Oct. 15 and Thursday, Oct. 22 — though there’s currently some doubt about whether the Oct. 15 matchup can go on as planned following Trump’s COVID diagnosis.
Press PLAY on the video above (courtesy of C-SPAN) to watch Harris go up against Pence, then drop your thoughts in a comment below.
More from TVLine
- Vice Presidential Debate Features Plexiglass Shields, 12-Foot Distancing
- Debate Commission Is Making Changes to Help 'Maintain Order,' in Wake of Trump/Biden's Opening '$#*!show'
- SNL: Joe Biden Becomes The Fly, Goes 'Full Goldblum' at VP Debate -- WATCH
Best of TVLine
- The Emmys' Most Memorable Moments: Laughter, Tears, Historical Wins, 'The Big One' and More
- Young Sheldon: Every Big Bang Theory Cameo, Easter Egg and Future Reveal
- The Top TV Theme Songs of All Time: 1970s Edition