ITN, the company that makes ITV News, announced Stewart’s departure on Wednesday, referring only to a “use of social media which breached ITN’s editorial guidelines.”
More from Deadline
- ITV Preps Crime Thriller ‘Viewpoint’, Co-Created By ‘Fleabag’ Director Harry Bradbeer & ‘Manhunt’ Writer Ed Whitmore From ‘Ripper Street’ Producer Tiger Aspect
- 'Murder Mystery's Luke Evans To Lead ITV Drama 'The Pembrokeshire Murders' From 'Bodyguard' Producer World
- 'Vera': ITV & BritBox Drama Renewed For Season 11 As Producers Admit U.S. Remake Possibility - TCA
Stewart added: “It was a misjudgment which I regret. It’s been a privilege to bring the news to households throughout the UK for the past 40 years.” He has since deleted his Twitter account.
Stewart’s recent work with ITV News has been on a freelance basis for lunchtime and weekend bulletins. ITN CEO Anna Mallett said: “We would like to recognise Alastair’s contribution as one of the UK’s foremost journalists and TV presenters and to thank him for his commitment to delivering high-quality broadcast news over many years.”
His co-presenters also praised his career. “So sad to learn this – we have worked on many big stories together & Al is a trusted friend and guide to many of us,” Julie Etchingham said on Twitter.
Best of Deadline
- Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon
- Disney-Fox Deal: How It Ranks Among Biggest All-Time Media Mergers