In this week’s episode of our Useful Idiots podcast, hosts Matt Taibbi and Katie Halper are joined by Congressman Ro Khanna of California, who also serves as a national co-chair of Bernie Sanders’ 2020 presidential campaign. They discuss the DNC’s role in Iowa caucus debacle, and the prospects for New Hampshire and beyond (note: this episode was taped before the New Hampshire primary).
Khanna, who unseated an eight-term incumbent Democrat for his seat in 2016, sits on the House Armed Service Committee, Budget Committee, and Oversight Committee. He has made military spending a central piece of his policy initiatives.
More from Rolling Stone
- This Primary's Real Loser Is Diversity
- 'Like Iowa Should Have Felt': Scenes from Bernie Sanders' Victory March in New Hampshire
- New Hampshire 2020: In Supreme Irony, the Horse Race Favors Bernie Sanders
“No one talks about what would the defense increase in that budget could actually afford, in terms of free public college, in terms of school lunches, in terms of early childcare,” posits Khanna. “At some point we have to ask, what does resistance to this President really mean? It’s not just casting an impeachment vote. It’s making sure that we’re not giving him a carte blanche to his Pentagon.”
Matt Taibbi and Katie Halper also discuss Chris Matthews’ rant on Bernie Sanders and international socialism, and the prospects of mass political executions in Central Park.
Best of Rolling Stone
- The Useful Idiots New Guide to the Most Stoned Moments of the 2020 Presidential Campaign
- The Radical Crusade of Mike Pence
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Marco Rubio
See where your favorite artists and songs rank on the Rolling Stone Charts.