Does Groundhog Day (this year landing on Sunday, Feb. 2) remind you of a certain Harold Ramis film starring a particularly beloved Ghostbuster? Same. But rewinds and replays happen all the time on the small screen as well, plopping favorite characters in perilous time loops that send them on missions to save family members, save themselves, avert tragedies and… defeat a monkey paw? Yes, that too.
From Mulder and Scully’s booming bank bomb and the Green Arrow’s pre-Crisis test, to The Mindy Project‘s never-ending ride on the Hot Mess Express, time loops have become one of TV’s tried-and-true methods of storytelling.
More from TVLine
- Arrow Spinoff Would Answer This Question Left Dangling by Series Finale
- Quotes of the Week: Good Place, Arrow, Station 19, Grammy Awards and More
- Which Arrow Absence Was Oddest? Is Lone Star Captain Too Chill? Riverdale Puts the 'Ick' in Tickle? And More Qs!
Team TVLine has picked 22 of the most memorable and twisted time loops that TV has thrown at us over the years. While some may have been comedic crests in a sea of larger storylines, others ended with devastating (read: fatal) consequences once the clock stopped rewinding. In a couple of cases (lookin’ at you, Russian Doll!), mind-bending loops comprise entire premises — seriously, we don’t know if Nadia will ever live a single day after her 36th birthday, but we can’t wait to find out.
The attached gallery has it all, from witches (Charmed) and superheroes (Cloak & Dagger), to vampires (Angel) and not one but multiple Star Treks. Review our favorite time loop episodes in the gallery above — or click here for direct access — then tell us about the ones you remember best in the comments!
Launch Gallery: TV's Best Time Loop Episodes
Best of TVLine
- TV's Best Time Loop Episodes
- Grammys 2020: The Best, Worst and Wackiest Moments From the Ceremony
- How Grey's Anatomy Has Handled Many High-Profile Exits Over the Years