Amid speculation about a possible move from Canada to Los Angeles for Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, President Donald Trump said in a tweet the United States would not pay for the royal couple's security.
"I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom," Trump tweeted Sunday. "It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!"
While tabloids have speculated Harry and Meghan are moving to Los Angeles as the date of their official step back as senior royals looms, the royal family has not yet confirmed. The couple and baby Archie have been living on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, at a borrowed luxury estate since Thanksgiving.
USA TODAY reached out to the State Department about the royals’ possible move earlier this month, and they declined to comment.
While the Royal Canadian Mounted Police have been working with London's Metropolitan police to provide security for the three royals abroad, that protection was on an "as-needed basis" and is scheduled to end March 31, when their status as working members of the royal family ends and their new life as financially independent royals living in North America officially begins.
Harry & Meghan's security costs: Canada won't pay for much longer
Celebrities weigh in: Should Harry and Meghan move to Los Angeles?
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex choosing to re-locate to Canada on a part-time basis presented our government with a unique and unprecedented set of circumstances," said a statement obtained by USA TODAY in late February from the office of Canada's minister of public safety, Bill Blair. "As the Duke and Duchess are currently recognized as Internationally Protected Persons, Canada has an obligation to provide security assistance on an as needed basis.
"At the request of the Metropolitan Police, the RCMP has been providing assistance to the Met since the arrival of the Duke and Duchess to Canada intermittently since November 2019. The assistance will cease in the coming weeks, in keeping with their change in status.”
USA TODAY has reached out to Kensington Palace for comment.
Harry and Meghan previously wrote on their Sussex Royal website that information about their security going forward would be "classified information for safety reasons."
Contributing: Maria Puente
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Trump: U.S. won't pay for Harry, Meghan's security amid move reports