This story is just horrible.
A Dangerous Activity
A' train surfer' on the Sapsan train service in Russia was electrocuted and burned alive en route from St. Petersburg to Moscow.
The train was moving at 155 miles per hour and 19-year-old Dmitry Mikhailenko was caught in the 4,000-volt pantograph, the apparatus that transfers the power from the overhead line to the traveling train.
A Tragic Death
Mikhailenko's body was discovered after passengers aboard the train reported the smell of "burned meat." People noticed that a fire had broken out on the roof of the third car and fled the train in a panic after it was brought to a halt.
Mikhailenko had already passed away by the time rescuers could reach him.
A Missing Companion
The Russian Investigative Committee transport section is launching a full investigation of the incident, especially given the reports that Mikhailenko may have had a companion, Anya Morozova, 20, with him at the time who has been reported missing.
Not The First Incident
This is not the first time that a train surfer has passed away while attempting this dangerous stunt. American 24-year-old Varcy Locklear was decapitated last year in North Carolina on the Charlotte to New York Amtrak route.