Paramount/Skydance’s long-awaited sequel Top Gun: Maverick will fly on Wednesday, June 24 instead of Friday, June 26. That’s standard for Paramount to take a big summer event tentpole out on a Wednesday, ala their Transformers movies and even the Tom Cruise Steven Spielberg directed 2005 hit War of the Worlds.
The pre-Independence Day weekend is crowded already with Dreamworks Animation’s Trolls World Tour, which will be sneaked for exhibitors at CinemaCon, Warner Bros.’ Jon M. Chu-directed feature adaptation of Broadway musical In the Heights, and Illumination/Universal’s Minions: The Rise of Gru and Ryan Reynolds’ 20th Century Studios comedy Free Guy landing on July 3.
More from Deadline
- 'A Quiet Place Part II' To Scare Up $60M Opening - Early Box Office Forecast
- 'Sonic The Hedgehog' China Release Date Postponed Due To Coronavirus
- 'Mission: Impossible 7' Venice, Italy Shoot To Halt Due To Coronavirus; Paramount Cites Abundance Of Caution - Update
Joseph Kosinski directs Top Gun: Maverick off a script by Ehren Kruger, Eric Warren Singer, and Christopher McQuarrie.
Best of Deadline
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto
- Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon