The post New Tom Waits tribute album features Aimee Mann, Phoebe Bridgers, and more appeared first on Consequence of Sound.
Songwriting legend Tom Waits is being honored with a new tribute album called Come On Up to the House: Women Sing Waits. As its title indicates, the record features an all-star female lineup, including Aimee Mann, Phoebe Bridgers, Rosanne Cash, and Patty Griffin.
Women Sing Waits is due out November 22nd through Nashville-based label Dualtone Music Group and consists of 12 cover songs. Highlights include Mann’s take on “Hold On”, Bridgers’ reworking of “Georgia Lee”, Cash’s touching version of “Time”, and Griffin’s rendition of “Ruby’s Arms”. Angie McMahon, Corinne Bailey Rae, and Shelby Lynne also tackle other cuts from Waits’ extensive catalog.
“Tom is a true original as a songwriter, singer and arranger,” said Dualtone CEO and longtime Waits fan Scott Robinson. “There’s just no one like him. Beneath some of the layers of sound and his truly unique vocal phrasing, are some of the most beautiful and heartfelt songs I’ve ever heard.” He continued,
“After some great creative discussions many years back with an old publishing colleague, the concept of focusing on the sheer beauty of these songs by having them interpreted by a group of amazing artists with stunning voices, was a must-do project. Fast forward fifteen years later, we were thrilled with the passion and enthusiasm these artists showed when we approached them with the idea, which you can hear in their performances. Truly a musical celebration.”
As an early listen to the tribute album, check out Griffin’s “Ruby’s Arms” and “Downtown Train” as reimagined by Courtney Marie Andrews.
Musician and Waits devotee Warren Zanes provided personal liner notes to Women Sing Waits, which you can read here. Find the album’s artwork and full tracklist below.
Come On Up To The House: Women Sing Waits Artwork:
Come On Up To The House: Women Sing Waits Tracklist:
01. “Come On Up To The House” – Joseph
02. “Hold On” – Aimee Mann
03. “Georgia Lee” – Phoebe Bridgers
04. “Ol’ 55” – Shelby Lynne & Allison Moorer
05. “Take It With Me” – Angie McMahon
06. “Jersey Girl” – Corinne Bailey Rae
07. “Ruby’s Arms” – Patty Griffin
08. “Time” – Rosanne Cash
09. “You Can Never Hold Back Spring” – Kat Edmonson
10. “House Where Nobody Lives” – Iris Dement
11. “Downtown Train” – Courtney Marie Andrews
12. “Tom Traubert’s Blues” – The Wild Reeds
- Breaking Bad movie gets title, teaser, and premiere date: Watch
- Dropkick Murphys stage intimate performance outside sick kid's window: Watch
- Emma Stone is punk rock Cruella de Vil in first image from upcoming prequel
- Eddie Murphy returns to host SNL for first time in over 30 years
- Seth Hurwitz, co-owner of 9:30 Club and Merriweather Post Pavilion, charged with solicitation of prostitution