“It happened last week, actually, and then I lost my vision in my right eye about 24 hours later, and then it turned out to be kind of serious,” Guthrie said during a phone call she made to the show’s anchors. “They were afraid my retina would detach. They told me to just take it easy and they’ve been doing a bunch of laser procedures, trying to avoid having to do the full surgery,” she said. She has not appeared on air in the program’s last two broadcasts.
More from Variety
- NBC Bets on Side Dishes to Lure Viewers to Thanksgiving Football
- 'SNL': Heidi Gardner's Kooky 'Weekend Update' Characters Make News
- 'Days of Our Lives' Renewed for Season 56 at NBC
“I’m not supposed to jump up and down or anything because it’s kind of literally hanging by a thread. I’m very positive because I think it’s going to be okay,” Guthrie said.
Best of Variety
- Oprah's Favorite Things of 2019: You Can't Go Wrong Gifting One of These This Year
- Emmys Trivia: 20 Surprising Facts From 2019's Nominations
- Listen: Hugh Grant on Why He Would Kill Social Media if He Could