This year’s theCURVYcon was live-streamed on Yahoo Lifestyle Sept. 7-8, bringing the event’s important and insightful conversation to anyone who could not make the IRL event in New York City. Now in its fourth year, the curve-embracing event, founded by lifestyle influencers Chαstity Garner Valentine and CeCe Olisa, brought designers, fitness experiences, influencers, and speakers together to talk body positivity. This year, Gabourey Sidibe and Nia Jax were just two of the boldface names at the event!
Here are some highlights!
Passionate curvy consumers had a candid dialogue with executives in the plus-size fashion industry. Featuring executives from Old Navy, Lane Bryant, JCPenney, RebDolls, Premme, and Dia & Co.
Curves and Culture: Using Our Unique Voices to Inspire Fashion
Five top influencers talked about how we can move fashion toward inclusivity. Featuring Lauren Chan, Alex LaRose, Katie Wilcox, Shaina Harrison, and Alex Michael May. Presented by Old Navy.
Dance in Your Underwear — Tips to Live a More Confident Life
A diverse group of body-positive and plus-size fashion thought leaders opened up about how they build and maintain confidence. Featuring Ashley Nell Tipton, Denise Caldwell, Rochelle Johnson, and Hayet Rida and moderated by Yahoo Lifestyle’s Kerry Justich. Presented by Fit for Me by Fruit of the Loom.
The Curvy Girl’s Guide to Style: Making Any Style Work for Any Shape
Chastity Garner Valentine got real on what works and what does not for curvy women at home and in the office. She also gave advice on the elusive wide-calf boot! Presented by Dia & Co.
Body Positive Besties — Supporting Each Other in Our Journey
Nikki Bella and Nia Jax, WWE Superstars and Stars of E! Total Divas, talked about how women of all sizes can be allies as they learn to love their bodies.
Flourish in Photos — Take a Picture Like a Model
Want to learn your angles? A powerhouse group of modeling agents, photographers, and models taught us how.
Keynote Conversation with Joy Nash from Dietland
Joy Nash tells us how Camryn Manheim’s Emmy win inspired her to follow her acting dreams.
Keynote — A Fireside Chat With Gabourey Sidibe
Gabourey Sidibe brought down the house with her hysterical, yet empowering, banter. Here, she tells us about the compliment Beyonce gave her that she could not accept.
Read more about theCURVYcon 2018:
- Size did not ‘dictate their accomplishments’: Why Gabourey Sidibe and WWE’s Nia Jax will headline theCURVYCon
- Venus Williams expands fashion label into plus-size: ‘Representation matters’
Meet the inspiring women behind the event:
- ‘Being plus-size might just be part of my story’: The moment influencer CeCe Olisa found body positivity
- ‘I am a catalyst for change’: Style influencer Chαstity Garner Valentine on the evolution of plus-size fashion
Highlights from theCURVYcon 2017:
- Curvy models stun in trailblazing fashion show powered by Dia&Co
- Nia Jax, WWE star and cousin of ‘The Rock’ wows crowd in ‘amazingly empowering’ fashion show
- Chrissy Metz strongly believes ‘pants legs are prison’
- Chrissy Metz fires back at critics of latex dress: ‘If the Kardashians cane do it, so can I”
- Fat women often get too fetishized, Whitney Way Thore admits
- The weird fashion ideal Stacy London calls ‘bullsh*t’
- ‘Being an African-American model is something that requires a lot’ plus-size model Precious Lee Says
- Why this businesswoman says it’s a ‘disservice’ to go to ‘the man’ with a big idea
- It’s ‘very, very rare’ for a brand to include size 30 clothes for women
- “It’s kind of weird to hear a big girl say ‘I love my arms’”
- ‘Body pressure is just wrong’ says Lane Bryant CMO Brian Beitler
- How Precious Lee became a top plus-size model: ‘Struggle is something that I blaze through’
- ‘Be quiet’ says iconic plus-size model Emme to haters
- Watch the entire livestream of theCURVYcon 2017