'Terminator: Dark Fate' trailer: Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger reunite to save humanity in 'T2' sequel

Thirty-five years after she first played Sarah Connor, Linda Hamilton is still Earth's best defense against time-traveling cyborgs. In Terminator: Dark Fate, the actress returns to the big screen as iconic mama-warrior Sarah Connor, ready to lead a new generation in the battle against Skynet. And who better to help her than the original T-800, played by Arnold Schwarzenegger? Back in February, Yahoo Entertainment revealed the title of the Terminator franchise reboot. Now watch the first trailer above.

In addition to bringing back the original stars, Terminator: Dark Fate introduces Mackenzie Davis as a new part-human Terminator, sent back in time to protect a woman (Natalia Reyes) who is being targeted by evil artificial-intelligence network Skynet. Skynet has sent its own Terminator to assassinate her: Diego Luna, playing an updated version of the liquid-metal T-1000 from 1991's Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

James Cameron reveals details about ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’:

Fans who have been following the Terminator franchise (and if you haven't, don't sweat it) will remember that the first two blockbusters, released in 1984 and 1991, were followed by three loosely connected sequels: Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines in 2003, Terminator Salvation in 2009, and Terminator Genisys in 2015. For Terminator: Dark Fate, director Tim Miller (Deadpool) and producer James Cameron decided to make a direct sequel to T2, choosing to forget the later films (as audiences, no doubt, already have). None of the last three films included Hamilton.

On social media, some fans are suffering from franchise fatigue.

Others are pumped about Hamilton’s return, and the possibilities of a fresh take starring the much-loved Davis.

Speaking with Yahoo Entertainment earlier this year, original Terminator director James Cameron said that he gave Miller total creative freedom with the new story — except for one thing.

Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor in the 'Terminator: Dark Fate' poster (Paramount)
Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor in the 'Terminator: Dark Fate' poster (Paramount)

“I said I can’t be involved in this film at all if Arnold’s not in it," Cameron told Yahoo. "So that was a ground rule. Linda, I’m going to leave that up to you, because I think fans are going to want to see her again. And they’re going to want to see the real Sarah Connor and what time and dealing with these tragic futures has done to her, how it’s hardened her even more and in a way made her much stronger… And ultimately she becomes a really important character, in kind of passing the baton to the new characters that come into it."

Terminator: Dark Fate opens in theaters on Nov. 1.

Read more from Yahoo Entertainment:

Want daily pop culture news delivered to your inbox? Sign up here for Yahoo Entertainment & Lifestyle's newsletter.